• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cars = con

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    using your figures

ownership = £200 per month

car hire for commuter £10 per day = £305 per month

thats why we buy

bye bye

yes which is understandable in that situation

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Indeed, they are - you can't lose 10K on a car that only cost 1K

Trains can be useful though - I prefer them for travelling into London.
      well that's another tactic, just get a cheap one that actually works and can pass MOTs

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
        well that's another tactic, just get a cheap one that actually works and can pass MOTs
        Just the other week 1400 for an 04 mondeo in the auctions
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I need one to commute. Only 15 miles but my contracts are generally not in the city centres.

Comment

Polo bluemotion 75mpg £0 road tax
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Polo bluemotion 75mpg £0 road tax
              wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                I need one to commute. Only 15 miles but my contracts are generally not in the city centres.
                LWB 4x4 2.5 with Bull bars front and back, Scrape bars down the side (for people & cyclists that won't move over) Very Loud two tone horn (to scare old ladies) and lots of Halogen spotlights (to blind people).

I wouldn't be without mine
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I've got a 1992 BMW 325i (newish shape, not the square one) that I use as my daily driver. 86K on the clock, dead reliable, immaculate interior, bodywork not bad, great on motorways, not worried if it gets door-marked in the car park, not afraid to leave it anywhere. Got it as an insurance write-off for nothing, bought a new front for it off FleaBay which I fitted myself, had £300 worth of professional paint & panel work on top of that to make it look decent and my last service+MOT was £250.

Buy cheap, look after, when it goes wrong, throw away.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Absolutely. Bangernomics; buy for £1 - 2K then run it into the ground over 3 to 4 years, chuck it and start again. The only downside with older cars is, no matter how good the condition is, it doesn't take much of a knock to write it off, and because of the low market value, the insurance will always be woefully short of what's needed to replace it.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X