• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mo Mowlam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    But Robin Cook!!
    It takes some balls to resign from high position in the cabinet based on his views. I'd like to see Mandelson doing it, or even Blunkett -- heck, these guys seem to be impossible to get rid of even when they resign under weight of evidence!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      It takes some balls to resign from high position in the cabinet based on his views. I'd like to see Mandelson doing it, or even Blunkett -- heck, these guys seem to be impossible to get rid of even when they resign under weight of evidence!
      I do believe he was rather more reticent in relinquishing the apartment that went with the job.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

AtW

Just to point out that he resigned when it looked llike there might be some political capital in it, if you believe he was trustworthy just ask his wife or any of his mistresses/flings.
        Why not?

Comment

if you believe he was trustworthy just ask his wife or any of his mistresses/flings.
          I see nothing wrong with people having mistresses -- its between them and their wifes. Why would I care who he shags and when? So long as this does not put national security at risk (black mail), its fine by me.

Cook had balls to resign when he could have just sit quiet and nobody would pay attention to this because everyone else in Govt were for it.

Comment

Alexei

I don't disagree with you that his private life is his own affair.
            But it does throw his integrity into question (imagine, an NL politician and integrity in the same sentence!) and I re-iterate, he resigned when there was a chance of making polticial capital out of it.
            I disliked him as much as any verminous NL politician, but I didn't say he was stupid, only that he didn't have integrity and was not the person his epitaphs would have you believe (not that any of us would be probably).
            Mo Mowlam in comparison always struck me as honest and straightforwards, with a very public political agenda based on beliefs and principles, not on opportunism.
            Why not?

Comment

he didn't have integrity and was not the person his epitaphs would have you believe (not that any of us would be probably).
              I'd say Galloway resigned in a way to maximise political advantage, where as Cook resigned rather quietly without making huge fuss out of it, which indicates lack of desire to capitalise on the situation.

Comprare him to Prescott, Mandelson or even Blair.

Comment

who cares!

Comment

Who cares ?

Obviously not you, you sad little sack-of-tulipe.
                  If it had been some brain-dead cleric peddling hate you would care I suppose.
                  Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    I see nothing wrong with people having mistresses -- its between them and their wifes. Why would I care who he shags and when? So long as this does not put national security at risk (black mail), its fine by me.
                    Let's get this straight about Blunkett.

As I understand it, he did not resign because he had a mistress. He resigned because he was caught using his position to speed up the visa application of his ex-lover's nanny.

Furthermore, he accepted and kept his £20,000 payoff ex-ministers get to "re-adjust to life when leaving office", despite being reappointed to office a few months later.

Even furthermore, he was allowed to keep the grace and favour mansion that was reserved for the Home Secretary. I assume that new Home Secretary Charles Clarke has to live in a tent, or have New Labour obtained another mansion at our expense?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                      As I understand it, he did not resign because he had a mistress. He resigned because he was caught using his position to speed up the visa application of his ex-lover's nanny.
                      No no no -- if he admitted to this then he would not get to Govt -- from what I understand he left only because he admitted using 1st class train ticket that was meant to be used by his wife, but he gave it to mistress. This was supposedly "innocent mistake", where as speeding up visa app is clearly abuse of position. He took minor charge with a view to get back.

Comment

Working...
                      X