• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oil and metals prices in fee-fall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I've got 600 tonnes of scrap steel to cut up and recover, and now the prices are dropping

Ah well! still a hefty profit
    couple of newbie questions, yes, I'm also doing my own research on the subject.

Do you take delivery of this steel or is it just on paper?
    Do you suggest any good place where metals can be traded?

Thanks in advance for the answers

Comment

Originally posted by bullseye View Post
      couple of newbie questions, yes, I'm also doing my own research on the subject.

Do you take delivery of this steel or is it just on paper?
      Do you suggest any good place where metals can be traded?

Thanks in advance for the answers
      We do demolition and recovery of metals (usually Iron & Steel), and sell on to the highest bidder. which is always Sims Metal (Sims Group).
      I deal in thousands of tonnes a year though.
      For Non ferrous metals, I think that one of the Traders/Dealers that ship direct to China is the best option at the moment.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        I've got 600 tonnes of scrap steel to cut up and recover, and now the prices are dropping

Ah well! still a hefty profit
        Even worse, I couldn’t afford to run my 4x4 and it was worth more in scrap. When I cut it up the oil price dropped and the scrap was worthless.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Even worse, I couldn’t afford to run my 4x4 and it was worth more in scrap. When I cut it up the oil price dropped and the scrap was worthless.

It probably is worth more in scrap

But then again, I don't have to worry about some scrote scratching or denting it. Unless they used a sledge hammer and a chainsaw, the marks wouldn't be noticeable amongst the rest

Comment

Daleks outclass The Master any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
              Daleks outclass The Master any day.
              What's the scrap value of a Dalek these days?

Comment

Take a 5 to 10 year view and it's a buying opportunity just round the corner.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  What's the scrap value of a Dalek these days?
                  Mmmm! Daleks.

Soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Boomed.

The rise in oil and other commodities' prices was caused by speculation, not because of any supply or demand factors. This is what has caused instability in the markets and led to fear of a recession due to spiralling costs.

If those prices are returning to levels that more accurately reflect reality, this will result in greater financial stability, increasing confidence in the markets, and the averting of the looming recession.

Until the bankers recommence playing with their imaginary instruments and it all goes spiralling back up again...

To say that high prices are all due to speculation is obviously not true. Demand for commodities has been pushed up by a massively growing economy in China over the past few years, and thus investors were piling into commodity investments.
                    Demand is now falling because of the high prices and people naturally cutting back on consumption, and also the impending worldwide recession. This is bringing prices down dramatically in the short-term, but long-term, prices will inevitably rise due to increasing demand yet again.

Comment

Nothing goes up in a straight line. To say that the oil price was all due to speculators, is outright bonkers.

Sure, there's speculation there. The trick is to work out how much of the price is due to increased demand / plateau supply and how much is speculation.

Comment

Working...
                      X