• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Washer dryer, repair or replace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Excellent intentions but 25 years seems a little long to wait for the 'benefit'. The last one only lasted 8.
    The way energy prices are set to rise, it'll be by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
      Repair would cost £98 plus parts with a one year guarantee.

Replacement would cost £350.
      Don't replace it. Wash by hand. Cost 0. Energy cost 0. Save the planet.

Comment

Buy a new one – get the economy going. Shinny new buttons and lights etc.

Not sure I’d bother with the dryer bit. Just hang the stuff up and they dry anyway is my feeling, or am I being too much of a ‘bloke’?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

8 votes for buying a new one and 1 vote for repairing the old one.

The CUKers have spoken.

Splash the cash.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Buy a new one – get the economy going. Shinny new buttons and lights etc.

Not sure I’d bother with the dryer bit. Just drape your clothes over the backs of chairs etc and they dry anyway is my feeling, or am I being too much of a ‘bloke’?

B00med!

Comment

It's simple.

If current machine = miele
              then
              Fix
              else
              Buy a miele from John Lewis.
              Done.

Off you go.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
                If current machine = miele
                then
                Fix
                else
                Buy a miele from John Lewis.
                Done.

Off you go.
                Miele Washer dryer was least reliable one I ever had - wouldn't waste the money on a "quality" one again.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Miele Washer dryer was least reliable one I ever had - wouldn't waste the money on a "quality" one again.
                  Ditto for Bosch
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post

Well, yeah. I might do things like that
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Well this poll has been far more useful than I expected. Thanks to all who voted.

I was leaning towards repair, but in the face of more than 80% saying otherwise I've changed my mind.

In the meantime I've discovered I can get a machine for £280 delivered that has a feature mine doesn't, sensor as opposed to timed drying.

When my plumber re-appears to complete work on my bathroom I will see if he has the time to do repair, I doubt he will charge me more than £30, but then I doubt he has the time as he should have finished the bathroom weeks ago. (He does all sort of jobs including electrical work for me, and he did comment in passing that he could look at the machine for me.)

(The £98 cost of repair was the fixed-price quote by manufacturer's people.)

Assuming he doesn't have time, I'll order the new machine then.
                      Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 29 July 2008, 16:47.

Comment

Working...
                      X