• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£800 to park me car outside the house...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

folks,

I am not sure if you have noticed, but 450 gbp per year is a lot of money only going out on car tax

as far as I understand, cars over 25yrs old have no car tax which begs one to wonder why everybody doesn't start buying older cars

25yrs old is: let's say 1980 to 1985

there are a lot of good cars that were made in those times, and can be picked up for bargains and restored to be made reliable for less than the cost of a new ford ka

golfs
    audi's
    honda's
    toyota's

etc

some very reliable cars there that could be picked up cheap, restored and on the road for perhaps 5k gbp with a full restore and then no road tax and very reliable

why don't people do that ?

and please don't argue about safety and airbags etc, I've driven in the UK recently and it has to be one of the safest places in europe, on the motorway the fastest cars are doing a 'daring' 78mph and on a roads like the a38 a48 the most people are doing is 50 !!

surprised there is not a surge towards cars older than 25yrs

Milan.

Comment

Slight correction needed there, Milan, old chap.

As soon as the one eyed gimp came in, he froze the date for free MVD at 1973...

Comment

So anything free of MVD is now 35 years old... anyone want a nice Morris Marina?

Is there such a thing?

Comment

ahhh

one must admit, the one eyed gimp aint daft is he

oh well, you lot are fecked then, best bend over and lube up

Milan.

Comment

There's a chap up the road from me who's got several cars free of MVD.

One is an MG TF, the other is a G reg E type Jag... very nice lemon yellow one, presumably 4.2.

Comment

I did contemplate buying a Rover P4, but the spares situation & the fuel consumption persuaded me not to bother.

Comment

very nice,

amazing though, like scooter scot, almost 800gbp a year, say he owns the car for four years, that's four grand, coupled with the depreciation - bye bye disposable income, you lot are living in a 'mare

Milan.

Comment

i'd get a merc, w116 vertical headlights diesel, those things will run for ever

pick one up for say 1k, spend 5k restoring it back to like new and voila:

no road tax

no depreciation if properly maintained

those diesels are good for like 600k miles just look at the taxi's in germany

and those older diesel mercs are so robust you can run them on svo, just look at the write ups on that there interweb

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    You do realise your car tax gives you the right to drive around as well don't you?
                    Problem is I don't often do. I don't commute and I'm still running around on half a tank since filling up at the beginning of the month.

When I do drive it might be to the other side of the country up in to the west coast - so you want comfort. Hence the heavy car.
                    Last edited by scooterscot; 23 July 2008, 09:15.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There's some car tax exempt motors in my road

Fella a couple of doors down the road from me has got a 1961 Rover 100 in immaculate condition. 3 litre engine so a bit thirsty. Beautiful car though.

Old lady opposite has a Ford Zephyr. That's not in such good condition, quite rusty bodywork, but she goes and does her shopping in it every week.

There's a Hillman Hunter parked at the bottom of the road quite often as well. Not sure whose it is though.
                      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Working...
                      X