• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick summary of what's happening with the economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can I make a point about oil prices (like gold prices).

Oil is not going up because there is a shortage of oil, it is going up because it is priced in US $, and the US economy is bolluxed and their currency is becoming worthless.

Since oil has intrinsic value and worth(like gold), the price of a barrel rises as the currency becomes worthless.

HTH
    I've been telling people this for ages (same with food) but no-one believes me.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      As an aside - I find it incredible that inflation is **only** at just under 4%. food up 10% - but offset by falling cost of cars (who can afford one with petrol so high?) and DVDs and eating out.
      So why is eating out cost falling when food etc. is up 10% or more ?

Makes no sense.
      If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post

Makes no sense.
        I am no expert - but will comment as if I know what I am talking about! Food prices make up small part of restaurant costs. Fewer people are eating out so they have to cut prices. Eventually restaurants will close and more will be out of work (or go home to Poland).

Comment

I am no expert - but will comment as if I know what I am talking about!
          You are AtW and I claim my free bullet proof X5!

Comment

You are AtW and I claim my free bullet proof X5!

I knew I should have added "in true cuk tradition".

Comment

Oil is not going up because there is a shortage of oil, it is going up because it is priced in US $, and the US economy is bolluxed and their currency is becoming worthless.
              Oil has been going up, even in non-dollar terms, because of the demand for it. This is partly to hold other classes of asset as an alternative to stocks and real-estate. It is also to build stocks for reserves and ahead of perceived further price rises. However, demand is not need. Actual consumption from India, China, etc has not gone up anything like as much to warrant these prices. The producers know that there isn’t the real need for the volume of oil that’s why they do not respond to idiots like Brown asking them to pump more. There is plenty of oil sitting in tankers in the gulf with nowhere to go. The problem is that it‘s heavy oil. What there is a shortage of is refining capability. It’s a problem that has been a long time in the making and will take even longer to fix.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post

Makes no sense.
                Coz some idiots who ate out in the boom have been stupid enough to pay the sky high margins restaurants have been getting away with.
                Take polenta, marketed as a delicacy. Genius! The Italian peasants and poor Africans who eat a similar dish would laugh their tits off at the London idiots who pay £10 a pop for it.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Oil has been going up, even in non-dollar terms, because of the demand for it. This is partly to hold other classes of asset as an alternative to stocks and real-estate. It is also to build stocks for reserves and ahead of perceived further price rises. However, demand is not need. Actual consumption from India, China, etc has not gone up anything like as much to warrant these prices. The producers know that there isn’t the real need for the volume of oil that’s why they do not respond to idiots like Brown asking them to pump more. There is plenty of oil sitting in tankers in the gulf with nowhere to go. The problem is that it‘s heavy oil. What there is a shortage of is refining capability. It’s a problem that has been a long time in the making and will take even longer to fix.
                  Okay smart arse.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Coz some idiots who ate out in the boom have been stupid enough to pay the sky high margins restaurants have been getting away with.
                    Take polenta, marketed as a delicacy. Genius! The Italian peasants and poor Africans who eat a similar dish would laugh their tits off at the London idiots who pay £10 a pop for it.
                    They can't help it, they also think £500K is a good price for an ex-council flat in Hackney,

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      It sounds like a sad existence when you have to ask yourself what state the economy is in before decidng whether to go out for a meal or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X