• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council workers walk out over pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Summer loving had me a blast
    Summer loving happened so fast
    I met a girl crazy for me...
    Tell me more, tell me more

Comment

If you sacked half of them no services would be affected.

Just sack the right half. That'll be the ones striking.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        Any excuse for a bit of Shakespeare. Genius.
        - Bloody Liar

This is what Richard III actually said,

Now is the summer of our sweet content,
        Made o'er-cast winter by these Tudor clouds.
        And I that am not shaped for black-faced war,
        I that am rudely cast and want true majesty,
        Am forced to fight,
        To set sweet England free.
        I pray to Heaven we fare well,
        And all who fight us go to Hell.

As chronicled in “The Foretelling” part of the saga of Lord BlackAdder.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Does anybody else remember the last time there was rubbish left lying in the streets because of the refuse collectors strike?

When was that...?
          Wasn't there a localised one about a year ago. Can't remember where though.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Here are my thoughts on the matter.

To the idiot union leader I heard on Radio 4 this morning harping on about how the pay increases they were demanding were totally affordable:
            Have you seen the state of our government's finances? Do you not realise that government borrowing is so high because of the cost of our bloated public sector? Muppet.

To the public sector workers:
            We're about to go into a horrible recession. You have some of the most secure jobs in the country. If you don't like what you're being offered then go and work in the private sector where you won't be able to work 8 hours a week with god-knows how many flexi-days, duvet days, doss around pretending to work days and you'll probably get fired for being rubbish. Suck it up and stop complaining.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

To the idiot union leader I heard on Radio 4 this morning harping on about how the pay increases they were demanding were totally affordable:
              Have you seen the state of our government's finances? Do you not realise that government borrowing is so high because of the cost of our bloated public sector? Muppet.

We're about to go into a horrible recession. You have some of the most secure jobs in the country. If you don't like what you're being offered then go and work in the private sector where you won't be able to work 8 hours a week with god-knows how many flexi-days, duvet days, doss around pretending to work days and you'll probably get fired for being rubbish. Suck it up and stop complaining.
              Disco Stu - next Chairman of ACAS (part time head of Relate)

I am pretty much in agreement though speaking as (an admittedly well-paid) geezer who hasn't had a pay rise in 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

LOL! I like that.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  I am pretty much in agreement though speaking as (an admittedly well-paid) geezer who hasn't had a pay rise in 3 years.
                  That's the otehr annoying thing, we only get pay rises when our skills and experience rise - we earn it. Not just because some union guy threatened not to empty our bins for it.
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Unison general secretary Dave Prentis said: "The pounds in local government workers' pockets are turning to pennies," he said.

"The cost of everyday essentials like milk, baccy, bread, stella, petrol, lotto tickets, gas, Xbox games and electricity are going through the roof - our members cannot afford to take another cut in their pay."

Unite national officer Peter Allenson said its members were "living on the breadline".
                    BBC
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I took the "self-starter" part of the contract blurb to heart and managed my own raise by:
                      a. Getting paid to post drivel here.
                      b. Nicking 1 bottle of mineral water from the kitchen area per day. That alone is nearly +2 quid extra to my daily rate. Boomed!
                      Bored.

Comment

Working...
                      X