• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Present buying for older men!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Old men are all miserable b@stards, so get him a new Victor Meldrew style flat cap.
    In the same vein, how about a DVD boxed set of "Curb your Enthusiasm"?
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Get him a yellow ping pong ball.
      That boy go raaaaaaa
      Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Sally, are you married yet??
        What went with your diet? did you reach your goal??

Comment

Well possibly a batty idea SA , but I guess he doesnt mind you spending dosh , just not on HIM. So stick £200 or whatever behind the bar and let everyone have free ale for the afternoon. The milky bars are on Dad whoo hoo!!

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If he likes wine, in a non-snobby-connoisseur kind of way, how about a wine making kit?

It would be a damn site cheaper than buying it, if he has the room to store all the bottles etc, and would give him a hobby with something to show for it and share with others.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              If he likes wine, in a non-snobby-connoisseur kind of way, how about a wine making kit?

It would be a damn site cheaper than buying it, if he has the room to store all the bottles etc, and would give him a hobby with something to show for it and share with others.
              some vinegar
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

How about tickets to some fav sport/events: football match / cricket etc... or just a ticket to go away for a long weekend e.g. to France.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                  What can I get my Dad for his birthday?

He's 64, just retired, wont ever let me spend a lot (so around the £50 mark), doesn't play golf or do anything on his own like that.

Loves a drink, loves a gamble, but can't afford much of it these days, loves sitting in the garden in his hammock....

His ideal prezzie would probably be a very nice bottle of wine and a cheese platter or something....but I need to be able to give him his prezzie in a pub on Saturday, so wine's a bit heavy for that.

Hmmmm....any ideas?

(I'd like slightly better ideas than the ones yous gave me for nibbles last week, if that's possible please!)
                  My Dad was 65 last year and the presents are always difficult.

He is normally quite happy with a decent bottle of rum.

For his 65th we gave him a flying lesson. He doesn't want to learn to fly but he enjoyed being able to survey the area surrounding where he lives from a few thousand feet up inside a small plane. But that had to be a children-club-together present. I would happily of paid for it myself but my family would be truly horrified if they found out how much I am earning.

Having said all that, one of his favourite presents was a solar/wind-up powered radio. He likes to spend time in the summer-house or other places where there is no electricity, so he was over the moon to get a radio that does not need batteries.

Comment

My dad loves the iPod I got him for his last birthday, that led to a laptop to have iTunes and last month internet access, email, Skype, going mental on eBay & Amazon...
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                      My dad loves the iPod I got him for his last birthday, that led to a laptop to have iTunes and last month internet access, email, Skype, going mental on eBay & Amazon...

Comment

Working...
                      X