• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Knife crime.. tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t think that it solely a case of migration from guns to knives as a weapon of choice. The number of youngsters that regularly carry weapons has increased; certainly not all of them were former gun carriers.

I agree with TL and Diver’s comments that showing the affects of knives on victims will be counter productive. However, if you ask the youngsters they say it is for defence rather than offence. If that is true and if it is, what are the reasons behind that are the questions that need to be addressed.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      I don’t think that it solely a case of migration from guns to knives as a weapon of choice. The number of youngsters that regularly carry weapons has increased; certainly not all of them were former gun carriers.

I agree with TL and Diver’s comments that showing the affects of knives on victims will be counter productive. However, if you ask the youngsters they say it is for defence rather than offence. If that is true and if it is, what are the reasons behind that are the questions that need to be addressed.
      Just how are they going to defend themselves with a knife?

They may carry a knife for its deterrent value, but a knife is certainly not a defensive weapon.

Comment

We would all welcome any candidates that would satisfy your classification of ‘defensive weapon’
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          We would all welcome any candidates that would satisfy your classification of ‘defensive weapon’
          Foogle it.

My point still stands, attacking someone with a knife is an all together different kettle of fish to using a gun or other "stand-off" weapon.

You're average youth isn't going to know how to use a knife in a "defensive" manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            It hasn't crossed those knobheads minds that the kids are going to see the grisly aftermath of a knife attack; and walk out thinking:
            "fek me, didja see the state of them guys! I'm going to carry a bigger knife or a gun; in case some geezer tries to do me"
            WHS

An inner city teacher said on Radio 4 the other day that in his experience, speaking to kids, most had started carrying knives for self-defence.

Shows how ridiculously out of touch this Government is.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

How long is this PC pretence that this is a general problem with our society going to go on? As Blair said last year and the CRE agreed, it is not a white British problem.

What nobody seems to have pointed out is that to a significant extent British born black youths are being blamed unfairly. A major factor is the government's total failure to ensure the suitability of immigrants. Look up the suspects on the net for yourselves but as far as I can make out, 3 of the 20 murders of young people this year were probably by Somalis and another 4 by other migrants. I am betting some of the other perpetrators just described as being black, Asian or Turkish in appearance were migrants too.

It is time idiots in charge grasped the patently obvious fact that people from violent lawless societies do not make good citizens. PC sorts should realise that the failure of this government to control immigration hits minorities more than any of us, both because they are usually the victims and because of the way it affects perception.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 13 July 2008, 17:48.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

young men behave like this as they've not had a male role model or father to discipline them and keep them on the right track
                but the liberal feminists will never admit this, as they consider men to be nothing more than glorified sperm donors

Comment

We just need a party in power that will lock anybody up that is caught carrying a knife without good reason. 6 months without parole should do.

If somebody uses a knife to kill then LIFE means LIFE !!

It really is that simple...... we need DETERRENTS against crime. What is so difficult about that !!!?? New Lie.... incompetence personified !!!

TOUGH ON CRIME TOUGH ON THE CAUSES OF CRIME !!

Comment

I suggest death penalty is restored for murder.

Comment

"Is making sure that they don't bloomin' well carry them again..."

OFF WITH THEIR HANDS!

Sorry is that not workable?
                      B00med!

Comment

Working...
                      X