• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

does maths ability have a shelf life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You need to enjoy the stuff - so start gently.
    Look up these books on amazon:

The Pleasures of Probability
    Forgotten Calculus

They are relatively gently paced and can form the foundation for moving on.

Customers also bought:

"Don't Kill Yourself, People Do Like You. Honest"
    "How To Be A Chic Geek"

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

Customers also bought:

"Don't Kill Yourself, People Do Like You. Honest"
      "How To Be A Chic Geek"

Customers who bought eyeliner also bought:

An orange
      Stockings
      a whip
      A Rabbit (no not the pet animal)

Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

So does no-one on here agree that learning and understanding stuff just gets easier as you get older?

Comment

Oh I forgot
          "Differential Equations Demystified"
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

thanks for the tips

i will get on amazon

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
              I learned Italian to a reasonable standard at work about 15 years ago. I used to use it regularly and went to Milan and Rome for stints of work. I've kept it on my CV, but I've pretty much forgotten the whole lot due to total lack of practice since I left that job. I've no idea whether it would come back quite quickly or if I'd have to start again from scratch. Terrible waste, but I've really had no occasion to use it for years and years now.

Couldn't do Maths in the first place though, so that's not a problem.
              Maths is distinctively more difficult than a language to a reasonable level, and the type of learning and knowledge needed is more demanding. Generally a language comes back quite easily; it can even be easier than before because your mind has grasped more connections in the intervening years.

It has seemed to me for a long time that in maths one tends to remember one whole level of education less than one studied. If a lot of time has passed, it may take a bit of work to get back even to that level.

I have practical experience of this, having recently given tuition to someone for A-level maths: it didn't take long to get up to speed but it did take a bit of brushing up. As for the Honours maths that I once set eyes on, I couldn't be certain of being able to look at an exam paper and name the field, far less pass the paper.

Comment

Customers who bought eyeliner also bought:

An orange
                Stockings
                a whip
                A Rabbit (no not the pet animal)

Comment

Oh I forgot
                  "Differential Equations Demystified"
                  I can't decide whether that is a wind-up or if there really is a book called that.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                    I can't decide whether that is a wind-up or if there really is a book called that.
                    It sits proudly on my shelf
                    Anyway us geeks feel sorry for you BB watchers. Never will you experience the satisfaction of understanding some deep insight into the world.
                    Last edited by sasguru; 10 July 2008, 14:07.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

It sits proudly on my shelf
                      Is it quite big then?
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X