• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4000 jobs gone in housing in a week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any day now we will get: "They all have transferable skills and, if they make the effort, can find work elsewhere in our strong economy."
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Be interesting to watch the houses in my little cul-de-sac.

There are 3 other houses. Next door runs a plumbing business to the construction trade, house opposite is a Chartered Surveyor and and the other house the guy runs a tiling business.
      The hardware shop in the village has "1/2 price closing down sale" in the window. been there since Saturday
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Any day now we will get: "They all have transferable skills and, if they make the effort, can find work elsewhere in our strong economy."
        Yes, Cameron will say that, what about GB?
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          My mate has just been laid off. Been a QS for the same company for 15 years. went into work last week, they asked him for the keys to his company car (along with 15 other staff) and gave him/them 4 weeks notice.
          My mate is a surveyor for a big outfit ( they also sell hamburgers on the side ) and the sackings have been going on for a few months, way before these announcements. He described it as carnage. Remember the subbies don't show up in the figures as they aren't employees.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            My mate is a surveyor for a big outfit ( they also sell hamburgers on the side ) and the sackings have been going on for a few months, way before these announcements. He described it as carnage. Remember the subbies don't show up in the figures as they aren't employees.
            WHS.

There are a couple of major housing developments in the Cambridge area that have just halted. People layed off until better times...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              WHS.

There are a couple of major housing developments in the Cambridge area that have just halted. People layed off until better times...

We get a new government.

Comment

We get a new government.
                You seriously think that a different Government would be any better? The differences between our 2 major political parties are so small that I have no expectations.
                All politicians are simply out for themselves, our democracy is a farce, Governments get elected with a minority of the votes cast and more than half of the voting public simply doesn't bother to vote.

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...t.construction

I think the next stage is many of the Polish guys working in construction will go home, reducing demand for cheap rented housing, making the BTL situation worse, sparking a big sell off of small houses and flats.
                  My friend just lost his job as a Civil Engineer, he told me the situation is a lot worse than that, jobs lost is more like 6,500 but they are trying to keep a lid on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    You seriously think that a different Government would be any better? The differences between our 2 major political parties are so small that I have no expectations.
                    All politicians are simply out for themselves, our democracy is a farce, Governments get elected with a minority of the votes cast and more than half of the voting public simply doesn't bother to vote.
                    Yes I do. Not in a change the UK overnight sort of way, but in a slow painfull gradual way to some sense of normality.

New Labour have squandered the biggest global economic boom in history and the UK is going to certain bankruptcy in the coming years due to it, millions will lose their jobs, pensions and their homes.

The fact that people don't vote and let others decide who runs the country serves them right. You get the government you didn't bother to vote against.

Comment

And their women don't have beards

Comment

Working...
                      X