• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We're in a recession!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst thing about this (coming) recession is that it will mainly affect the financial sector that has been so far the driving engine of the boom in IT contracting.
    If companies can't make profits, then there is no pot for re-investment in new projects.
    It will all be BAU and this will be taken care by the permie staff. Contractors are normally used in one-off situations.
    Anyone earning more than £ 500 p/d will be in the firing line to take the first shots. Justifiable or not, if the costs start mounting, then the axe may fall. Anyone else that is assigned to a non-critical or iconic or whatever-else-is-called project is next.
    There will be blood....

Comment

We are not in a recession yet, as we have not had two consecutive quarters of negative growth.

I have noticed that we always get a mass of negative forecasts every month just as we are coming up to a meeting of the 'independent' interest-rate setting board!!!!

Government pressure for a rate cut via the media perhaps ??? Oh, I am such a cynic !!!

Expect a rate cut very soon folks !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        We are not in a recession yet, as we have not had two consecutive quarters of negative growth.

I have noticed that we always get a mass of negative forecasts every month just as we are coming up to a meeting of the 'independent' interest-rate setting board!!!!

Government pressure for a rate cut via the media perhaps ??? Oh, I am such a cynic !!!

Doubt it, the feeling would seem to be that we're headed for a recession whether rates are cut or not, so we might as well make an effort to try and get inflation under control for when the inevitable happens.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I'm already earning 30% less and travelling 100% further than this time last year... it's going to get worse??
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I hate that term negative growth. Notice how we never had negative decline for the past 15 years or so.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It is impossible for the UK economy to be in recession – we have a Labour government.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I'm already earning 30% less and travelling 100% further than this time last year... it's going to get worse??
                Start worrying when you're earning 100% less and travelling 0% as much.
                Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  Doubt it, the feeling would seem to be that we're headed for a recession whether rates are cut or not, so we might as well make an effort to try and get inflation under control for when the inevitable happens.

Oil and food prices are governed in the main by worldwide factors and thus raising interest rates will make zero difference except possibly through a stronger pound.
                  If the government was serious it would reduce duty on fuel as the Tories have suggested, and this would have a definite positive impact by reducing transportation costs thereby reducing costs of goods in the shops.
                  It would also put some money back into people's pockets to enable them to pay their inflated mortgages etc. Too sensible though, isn't it ??!!

Comment

Oil and food prices are governed in the main by worldwide factors and thus raising interest rates will make zero difference except possibly through a stronger pound.
                    If the government was serious it would reduce duty on fuel as the Tories have suggested, and this would have a definite positive impact by reducing transportation costs thereby reducing costs of goods in the shops.
                    It would also put some money back into people's pockets to enable them to pay their inflated mortgages etc. Too sensible though, isn't it ??!!
                    It would probably have been possible too if they hadn't wasted so much cash on growing the now bloated public sector so much over the last 10 years.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Cutting fuel duty takes money away from Govt coffers now, whereas it would boost the economy with a time lag. They have schemes to make you eat rotten veg to pay for,
                      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Working...
                      X