• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

accommodation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not one for hotels either but would hate the idea of sharing with someone. I try and go for the self catering option, caravan, holiday home or something similar.

On my last gig I found some self catering, converted stables. Breakfast was included by way of a loaf of bread, milk, cereals, yoghurts and fruit being left daily. Microwave, toaster, power shower and free cabled broadband were all good additions too. This was £56 a night which I thought was good value.
    Blood in your poo

Comment

If it's just mon-thursday then Easyroommate, find a single person under 30 and in my experience they will hardly ever be in the flat. It's cheap and it's much easier to get out of than a 6 months rent. Flexibility is the key to contracting. Can't think of anything worse than to be tied into 6 month lets, paying all the bills and taking the hit on the deposit.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        If it's just mon-thursday then Easyroommate, find a single person under 30 and in my experience they will hardly ever be in the flat. It's cheap and it's much easier to get out of than a 6 months rent. Flexibility is the key to contracting. Can't think of anything worse than to be tied into 6 month lets, paying all the bills and taking the hit on the deposit.
        I've done easyroommate last few times, agree about flexibility

but now I've discovered my flatshare landlord has put the flat on the market for a month and never told me about this, I think that's a bit underhand don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
          I've done easyroommate last few times, agree about flexibility

but now I've discovered my flatshare landlord has put the flat on the market for a month and never told me about this, I think that's a bit underhand don't you?

It's his perogative as long as you get your notice. If you have your own place I wouldn't get involved in running another one.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            It's his perogative as long as you get your notice. If you have your own place I wouldn't get involved in running another one.
            I know what u mean, it's easier just to pay someone an all-inclusive rent and be done with it

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
              I'm not one for hotels either but would hate the idea of sharing with someone. I try and go for the self catering option, caravan, holiday home or something similar.

On my last gig I found some self catering, converted stables. Breakfast was included by way of a loaf of bread, milk, cereals, yoghurts and fruit being left daily. Microwave, toaster, power shower and free cabled broadband were all good additions too. This was £56 a night which I thought was good value.
              A night! I used to rent bedsits for less than that a week. Self contained, cheap no hassle. Had to pay a bit of extra pole tax though.

Comment

you could get lucky and get a mon-fri rent deal

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  A night! I used to rent bedsits for less than that a week. Self contained, cheap no hassle. Had to pay a bit of extra pole tax though.
                  You got taxed on your pole? Is that a benefit in kind, I thought you could use it as a business expense?

On topic I don't like hotels for long periods (over a month) so I usually head onto the house share sites. I found a great one on my last gig, £60 a week all in, great bedroom with en-suite and the run of the rest of a large victorian house in a very nice bit of Lytham.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    You got taxed on your pole? Is that a benefit in kind, I thought you could use it as a business expense?
                    I needed a parking permit, and to get one of them of the council I had to...forget the details...the end result was that I had to pay council tax at home and in the city I contracted. Both councils wanted the full poll tax amount though! But eventually I ended up just paying the full amount in the most expensive part, and a lesser percentage in the cheaper. Could have been good had it worked the other way around. I've also stayed at places where landlords insist on proof of paying council taxes, and that may even be the norm now.

Comment

Working...
                    X