• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ba Suspends T4 Flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ba Suspends T4 Flights

British Airways has suspended all its flights from Heathrow's Terminal 4.

Sky News
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Not security, something to do with catering!??!?! [LBC radio]

Only interested 'cos I'm flying BA tomorrow...

Comment

British Airways has suspended all its check-ins at Heathrow Airport.

The decision is believed to have been made following a dispute over catering on British Airways flights.

Earlier the Transport and General Workers Union said 800 workers at Gate Gourmet had now been sacked, since a row flared at Heathrow Airport yesterday.

BA handed out bags of food and gave vouchers to passengers so they could buy food and drink before they boarded flights today.

The union's general secretary Tony Woodley called on BA to put pressure on the American-owned catering firm to return to the negotiating table.

He accused the company of behaving in a "disgraceful" fashion and said it had unilaterally decided to reduce the pay and conditions of its staff.

"It does not want to talk and it does not want to compromise. It is a classic American union-busting exercise."
      Oh great, baggage handlers as well. I'm flying tomorrow. Thanks...

At least the food may be better than it's sh1te Deli range. I'll just bring in a bottle of Laphroaig and a Jabba the Hut pizza then.

Comment

From what I heard on the radio yesterday

BAs catering company sacked most of its staff is 2 bouts yesterda.y

the first lot were holding a sit-in in the canteen when managment told them they had 3 seconds to return to work or they would be sacked, so they sacked em.

the 2nd lot (another shift) were doing a similar thing but given 20 mins and then sacked.

apparently BA fliers yesterday were given vouchers to buy food in the terminal before their flights.
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

"said it had unilaterally decided to reduce the pay and conditions of its staff",

ahh more people supporting the consumer spending underpinned economy from the comfort of the dole queue !

Milan.

Comment

a classic example of uk job security...

'the first lot were holding a sit-in in the canteen when managment told them they had 3 seconds to return to work or they would be sacked, so they sacked em',

Milan.

Comment

LOL! Not like the Dutch when I was at one of their refineries many moons ago: "We've been made redundant but we're working here for the next 2 years, have all the job training we need and a great payoff".

They shutdown most of the refinery after that.

Comment

I'm flying BA to Gatters tomorrow so it'd better be sorted out by then.
                BTW, which of you lot nicked my fecking ID?
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Hello Fleet,

are you back in work, in the UK too... unlucky !

back to this story, from the times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...731810,00.html

"More than 95 per cent of the sacked staff, who earn between £12,000 and £16,000 a year",

they live in the saff-east and that's all they earn, no-wonder they're peed off

the method of sacking was class...

"Staff meeting in the canteen were told by loudspeaker that they had three minutes to return to work or be sacked. More staff were sacked by megaphone in the company car park.
                  ",

classic.

Milan.

Comment

Hmnn, the other unions who came out in sympathy

and then were apparently backed by the TGWU, do you think BA should be allowed to sue them for damages? (The TGWU that is)
                    Why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X