• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you like your French fries ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same as churchy, no spuds.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Well done ?
      Slightly undercooked ?
      sliced up finely ?
      with garlic ?
      in the basement ?

sick
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Very thin and crispy - have to be deep fried from real potatoes and served piping hot with plenty of salt and cracked black pepper - no vinegar for me.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Well done ?
          Slightly undercooked ?
          sliced up finely ?
          with garlic ?
          in the basement ?

Ashamed. My partner says that visitors should be told not to go south of the river.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            Just like that - with some proper Northern curry sauce. Mmm.
            Northern curry sauce - WTF is that... surely you mean northern gravy or curry sauce from the midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              Just like that - with some proper Northern curry sauce. Mmm.
              I'm quite happy with our Southern curry sauce. Thick cut chips, salt and vinegar and a pot of curry sauce.

Mmmmmmmmmmm

Now you've done it! I'm hungry and it's not even half past nine.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Crispy - really hot with salt and vinegar on soft white bread with butter.... and maybe a pot of mayo to dip the chips that fall out....

Yeeeeeuuuuuuummmmmmm!!!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Very thin and crispy - have to be deep fried from real potatoes and served piping hot with plenty of salt and cracked black pepper - no vinegar for me.
                  Sold. That sounds delicious to me. I'll have what Lockhouse is having.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Perfect chips, they're a faff to make but worth it once in a while.

Estima Potatos are the best, other wise Maris Pipers or King Edwards.

The chips should be about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick.

Once they have been cut stick them in a bowl of water for half an hour.

While the chips are soaking heat the oil to around 150 degrees. Drain the chips and dry them with a tea towl then put them into the oil and cook untill they start to colour, don't let them go brown at this stage. If the oil is the right temp. you should get a nice gentle "boil" when the chips go in, not a frantic spitting and loads of noise.

Once the chips have started to colour take them out of the oil and leave them to cool. Spread them out on a baking sheet or similar to stop them sticking together.

Once they have cooled turn up the heat on the oil to 190 degrees, or whatever your fryer will go to and put the chips back in. Keep an eye on them as they will only take around 5 mins to cook to a nice golden brown.

Remove and drain, serve with your favorite additions. They will be crispy and light on the outside, fluffy on the inside and taste delicious. Guarenteed.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Once they have been cut stick them in a bowl of water for half an hour.
                      Does this increase or decrease the water content?

A problem with chips IMO is the high water content, which means they take ages to cook. Has anyone tried microwaving them to get them up to temperature before frying?

Comment

Working...
                      X