• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Contract Worker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zzzzzzzzzz

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      zzzzzzzzzz

Milan.
      WHS
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

You've got it a litlle bit arse about face, but let me explain your working situation to you.

Agency pays x per hour.

Orangegenie invoices x per hour on your behalf.

You are an employee of orangegenie, but the only money they have to pay you comes from x * 37.5 per week (or whatever).

As you are an employee, they have to deduct:

Holiday Pay (EU Law)
        Employers NI (UK Law)
        Employees NI (UK Law)
        PAYE (UK Law)
        Orangenies profit (just sensible really)

from your weekly pay-packet from the amount they have available (x * 37.5).

Now, you won't see anything but your holiday pay again.

A solution:

To prevent them from taking your holiday pay, arrange your contract so that:

"hours per week" = "contracted hours" * "holiday pay factor".

You then take:

"hours per week" minus "contracted hours" holiday per week

- about half a day per weekend should do it.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by dannypearson View Post
          Thank you, that's the sort of answer I was looking for!

Firstly, as somebody totally new to this I looked at the forum headers and they all related to IT contractors, which I'm not, so I went for the general thread.
          Secondly, having knowledge (hard-earned or otherwise) doesn't make you better than people who haven't learnt it yet. Get off your high horses!

I've been doing various temporary jobs since January. I received a phone call from an agency offering me a job. I went to the interview. I started work. I received the contract a few days later. It wasn't until after the contract was signed that I received a phone call from the umbrella company advising me that I was actually a contract worker, not a temp. Admittedly I should've read the contract properly, but at the same time I wasn't informed at any stage that this was going to be anything other than standard temporary work.

If I'm entitled to holiday pay then surely I should actually get holiday pay? This is just a delayed payment of money I've already earned and am entitled to. If I'm not entitled to any holiday pay, why do they need to take money from me?

I thought this would be the case. They're obviously earning interest off the money they deduct from me as well as their fees.
          They do like to have their fun. Best thing you can do is read a beginner's guide.

It's worth taking the time, and you should find out things you'd never even thought about. Come back afterwards with any specific questions and someone will help you out (eventually).
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 6 October 2021, 08:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
            WHS
            Er....WHS?

Comment

Originally posted by dannypearson View Post
              If I'm entitled to holiday pay then surely I should actually get holiday pay?
              I like an arse with attitude.

You will get holiday pay if you take holidays. This is no different to an employee. They rack up holiday entitlement as they go and then get paid whne they are off. If they have holidays left at year end they either get paid them or lose them. They usualy get paid them when they leave employment.
              Make sure that you will not lose the money if you dont take the holidays.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                I like an arse with attitude.

You will get holiday pay if you take holidays. This is no different to an employee. They rack up holiday entitlement as they go and then get paid whne they are off. If they have holidays left at year end they either get paid them or lose them. They usualy get paid them when they leave employment.
                Make sure that you will not lose the money if you dont take the holidays.
                Is holiday pay not additional to money you've already earned?
                As a temporary worker for all of the various agencies I've worked for I was paid an hourly rate, as well as accruing holiday pay. When I took holiday I was paid for it. I had no deductions from my wages for holiday pay, I was paid my standard hourly rate * the hours that I'd worked, and then if I had holiday I also got paid for hours I didn't work.

This is not the same. It is not holiday pay. I am getting paid less each week than I have actually earned, then get the money back if I claim holiday. I'm still not actually getting paid for this holiday - my toal wages are still only the same as the ammount of hours I've actually worked.

Comment

ok,

WHS = What he said (liitle bit sexist but generally on here it's mainly he with the odd feisty she and a lot of fembots created by others)

1st tip - always read your contract

2nd tip - ALWAYS READ YOUR CONTRACT

From experience contracting is a tough game as in most cases we (the small 1 man band or slightly higher) against them (the multi national corp's) who have no intention or care how much you pay if the FD says dont pay just yet they dont. This results in the very fast growing of a tough skin and the only thing you have in defence against this corporate bullying is the flimsy bit of paper with the terms and conditions written on it and after a while the comfort in knowing you can live a year or more from your current bank balance if need be. That should explain the "i've been through it myself, learnt the hard way and so why should i help you wipe your arse if you dont do some basic research first" style responses you've been getting, they're all cuddly bears mainly (some slightly greener and alien liek than others)

From what you've said and reading the response you may well be a "contractor" in the eyes of your agency, if you go through an umbrella then your effectively an employee of the umbrella rather than fending for yourself.

Read the Free Stuff section here ----------------------->

As I see it you have 3 choices:

1) do nothing and continue as is, maybe moan on here about doom and gloom along with most of the others, if so welcome you'll fit right in, maybe grow a thicker skin first though

2) negotiate, what have you got to lose?, for an increase in rate to offset the holiday deduction

3) form your own limited (nixon williams and SJD accountancy would be highly recommended from most on here among others as a starting point) and get rid of the umbrella, you'll then be in charge of your companies finances and can therefore pay yourself whatever you like along with every so often having a great in depth chat with yourself about what payrise/dividend/laptop/company mobile you believe your worth.. always an entertaining chat, especially if it involves brownie points with the Company Secretary (Mrs Pearson i'd presume) while having a "Company Meeting" in a posh restaurant (all expensable.. read the guides -------> )

either way HTH (hope this helps )

Chef
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    2) negotiate, what have you got to lose?, for an increase in rate to offset the holiday deduction
                    The holiday pay isn't an actual deduction it's just delayed payment for when you actually take time off.

Have a look at this waste of our taxes
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X