• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycling to current gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You should be wearing a cycle helmet anyway.

The electric moped needs no road tax (or it is "free"). MOT only after 3 years.
    You considering going green or something?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      You considering going green or something?
      Hey I'm not some £1000/day SAP admin.

8p a day is my daily commute budget.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Hey I'm not some £1000/day SAP admin.

8p a day is my daily commute budget.
        Then what are you doing here?

Just kidding
        "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
          ok - so over the last few weeks / months I've started cycling to my current gig. I've managed to get the time down to 1 hour 11 minutes today. That's Leatherhead to Soho 22.5 miles.

Now the question is, I'm using my mountain bike, it cost me about £1700 last year, light as its every going to be for a hard tail. Now I'm considering a road racing bike for around the same cost......but then I'm thinking I only want to blow £1700 to get my time below the hour mark.....what do I do....can anyone recommend a decent road bike ?

or is it just the contractor mentality speaking by blowing £1700 on a bike to prove a point.......
          Just get semi-slick or even slick tyres for your MTB, if you use it mostly on asphalt. I tried a road bike after 10+ years on a MTB and trashed it completely after a week or so - bent wheel, broken fork etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
            Hey goonster! Hope you are well.
            ello matie - yep all well.....just busy, busy, busy....on a very very good gig at the moment, I was thinking on the way in today I couldn't think of many jobs which what this one is paying where I can wear jeans, t-shirt and trainers. Come and go as I please. Bill whatever OT I need to, work from home when I want to......so I'm now in discussions about a contract renewal.......
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

If you do get a road bike be prepared to repair or replace inner tubes on a regular basis. Road bike tubes cant take the abuse a MTB tube can. The key is to keep them well pumped up at around 100psi otherwise they'll be flat the first time you hit a pothole.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                Just get semi-slick or even slick tyres for your MTB, if you use it mostly on asphalt. I tried a road bike after 10+ years on a MTB and trashed it completely after a week or so - bent wheel, broken fork etc.
                that was something I had considered, getting two new wheels and a new rear cassette, I so often peddle through the current range. but then I do rather like the idea of a racer....
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  If you do get a road bike be prepared to repair or replace inner tubes on a regular basis. Road bike tubes cant take the abuse a MTB tube can. The key is to keep them well pumped up at around 100psi otherwise they'll be flat the first time you hit a pothole.
                  yea. I've a few things to learn about road bikes, been mtb for years and living at the foot of hte north downs is a fantastic location for off road.
                  SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
                    ello matie - yep all well.....just busy, busy, busy....on a very very good gig at the moment, I was thinking on the way in today I couldn't think of many jobs which what this one is paying where I can wear jeans, t-shirt and trainers. Come and go as I please. Bill whatever OT I need to, work from home when I want to......so I'm now in discussions about a contract renewal.......
                    Nice. Very nice.

I'm in a thinks-it-is-forward-thinking-and-cool-but-it-isn't big bank. Again.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                      Nice. Very nice.

I'm in a thinks-it-is-forward-thinking-and-cool-but-it-isn't big bank. Again.

true.....not a bank.....left the city about 4 months ago to come to Soho. Got fed up with flying to Holland every other week!!!
                      SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                      X