• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Descartes and dualism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    Unfortunately, I'm forced to believe that the mind and the brain are one and the same.

Why unfortunately? And how could it be otherwise?
    Why unfortunate? Simply because I'm a romantic at heart and always liked to believe in the create soul. However, the more I read and thought about it, the more I became a materialist.
    How could it be otherwise? That's the reason for my 'conversion'!
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

I wonder if the computer would have been invented if we didnt have cartesian coordinates
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Bagpuss: Well, Descartes had some interesting ideas on language, such as assigning a number to a letter, phoneme, word which is used in cryptography, and cryptography was one of the forces to produce the first electronic computer.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by jabberwocky
          These are the sort of juvenile reponses that substantiate my point. The stuff on here is banal drivel, I am really wasted on you lot. The baboons on here should get back to their bananas and leave the intellectual high ground to those with moral fortitude.
          So there we are, having fun between ourselves, harmless to the great and the good of this world, and suddenly the great and the good decide to have a look at what we do, do not like it, and tell us to get back to our bananas?
          Sorry mate, we were here first. Please go back to your intellectual high ground and leave the floor to those with a total lack of moral fortitude. Thank you
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
            So there we are, having fun between ourselves, harmless to the great and the good of this world, and suddenly the great and the good decide to have a look at what we do, do not like it, and tell us to get back to our bananas?
            Sorry mate, we were here first. Please go back to your intellectual high ground and leave the floor to those with a total lack of moral fortitude. Thank you
            Have you got big jugs too ?

What has always worried me about the chinese room is that Searle says that the database guy looking up chinese expressions is clearly not doing things intelligently and yet he passes the Turing test. He is arguing that intelligence is more than just database retrieval - and yet he doesn't have a definition of what intelligence actually is - he gives no mechanism.
            Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10 August 2005, 14:14.

Comment

maybe. But it is not just a question of size, is it? What about firmness?
              Anyway I digress: any test designed to measure intelligence is doomed to fail as any person failing it can always practice it and get better next time round.
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
                How does one separate the mind from the body and is this really possible ?
                Or is it possible not to? Easily, I'd say. So (as always) the psychological question behind the philosophy remains: why does everybody see the body and mind as a duality? If I said that the body-mind problem is not really a problem at all, you might hear me out, but you wouldn't really believe it.

This compares with Hume's second question on inference: why do people believe it works? (though he automatically fell into his own trap: why did Hume feel able to say that people believe in inference? Because he had seen them do so in the past, so he assumed they would in the future...)

Comment

Working...
                X