• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for Economics Experts - riding out the current storm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    We were planning to buy but saw the prices going and pulled out at the last minute royally screwing over some fool of a BTL landlord who had in turn royally screwed over the very nice tenants who were in there at the time. Kind of half hoping it was sasguru, or have you sold up sas?
    I sold up a long time ago, not quite at peak, but close enough.

<<smug git mode >>
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

well the concensus is appearing to be, get into cash

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I sold up a long time ago, not quite at peak, but close enough.

<<smug git mode >>
        I'll get you next time Penelope Pitstop.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          well the concensus is appearing to be, get into cash

Milan.
          Unless you really understand anything better, would be my humble advice.

Comment

well probably I will learn more from you lot than you will learn from me,
            Milan.
            There is no "probably" about it

hth

SB
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

afternoon Shaun, long time no see, is it day release again ?

Milan.

Comment

afternoon Shaun, long time no see, is it day release again ?

Milan.
                Day Centre, I think.

Comment

Commodities (inc. Gold): I expect further upside over 10 yr period.
                  Equities (ISA): Going to nibble on a bit of Chinese - Most of my savings are in Asia, I expect the stock markets there to decouple from USA soon and strengthen.
                  Bonds: If you have to hold sterling (and I do) you can get 8% (3yrs - with conditions) now but it might go to 10% (1yr) on interest rate hike.
                  Stuff: I bought a big TV, car, sofa - inflation proof!

End of the World predictions seem a bit suspect to me.
                  Bored.

Comment

Inflation - rising prices - usually under control

Deflation - falling prices - not a usual state for an economy to be in (except certain sectors, e.g. electronics prices), e.g. Japan last few years.

Stagflation - rising prices, but stagnant/falling growth - this is what we're experiencing now.

We're fooked, I tell you. I for one have stopped flooring the Alfa at every whim - even managed to get 100miles from 1/4 of a tank (if the fuel gauge is correct).

Blame the FED for their loose monetary policy particularly since 2001 and the resultant excesses, the weak $ policy to stimulate the domestic economy. The recent bailing out of Bear Stearns - a publicly owned company - is evidence that it does not have what it takes to manage the economy. BS should have been allowed to fail - that is capitalism!!! Instead taxpayers money is being used to bail out the excesses ... not only that the US government is making things even worse by allowed non-secure assets to be used as collateral ... which is a disaster waiting to happen ...

The US is not willing to raise rates, not is EU or UK, as that will kill any growth that there is ...

FOOKED

Comment

BTL

I'm leaving the properties to my grand kids so house values don't worry me, I'll just sit here raking in the increased rents til I kick the bucket.

If you have properties then let them out at increased rent and stop whingeing about devaluation. There are loads of people out there that need a roof over their head and can't get a mortgage.

>Diver in smug mode<
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X