• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for Economics Experts - riding out the current storm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no way out here, we're all f***d.

I've bet on Equities but I'm convinced now that they're just as doomed as property, short term anyway.

Probably the best bets are treasuries or high interest accounts.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Surely what we need is high inflation (and wage inflation to match or exceed that) and low interest rates. That way people that have overpriced houses will be better off?

Comment

Blaster what equities are you betting on, what segment, in general the markets are down big time

sas, if the euro or chf becomes the reserve safe haven currency the £ and $ could fall sharply

Milan.

Comment

yup that's right, but screws up the people with savings.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
            I'm stockpiling none-perishable food items, the pound may rise and fall but a tin of beans is always a tin of beans, it will still make the same amount of beans on toast in 100 years as it does today...not that i'll be able to buy the bread of course!

I'll be rich I tell you... or at least well fed, and maybe a little windy!
            What's good to stock?

Beans, lard, chocolate (too expensive?), flour (can you eat it raw?), vitamins...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              What's good to stock?

Beans, lard, chocolate (too expensive?), flour (can you eat it raw?), vitamins...
              Forgot one: Uzi 9mm

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                Blaster what equities are you betting on, what segment, in general the markets are down big time

sas, if the euro or chf becomes the reserve safe haven currency the £ and $ could fall sharply

Milan.
                Hi Milan ...

Yes I have the following sectors in my portfolio

Emerging Market Telecoms....these are well in profit except Thailand where I'm expecting recovery
                Energy and Energy services (Coal, Gas and Oil well builders, and maintenance)
                Industrials (shipping, & steel, the odd chemical company)
                Far East construction

What is promising?

Gas...gas prices haven't risen but I think they will, Gazprom for example. Gazprom is a strong buy, has huge reserves and the new Russian president is a nice guy. Companies Quicksilver a US oil and gas exploration company.

PTT Chemical in Thailand, has access to cheap Thai gas reserves.

Some interesting odds and sods like solar panels, the Norwegian solar panel manufacturer Renewable Resources, just won a huge contract in Singapore.

My tip is not to rely on rising prices but rising production output so that price drops don't matter in energy for example, look at the demand from China, India and Brazil and who can satisfy it.

However my portfolio is on a downer a the moment.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 June 2008, 08:24.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

blaster, thanks for the info, I don't like shares and whenever I buy them they go down, probably best I stay out of there

hmm what to do

does anyone know the easy peasy language difference between:

inflation

deflation

stagflation

and how to hedge against each

Milan.

Comment

What about investing in renewables and nuclear?

Comment

No-one for gold at the minute then? Read a fair bit that suggests we could see big rises in the cost of this and silver as inflation grows. Very tempted to stick 5% of current cash into metals. These would be to hold for the next three years I reckon. I know there is something like a 5% premium on buying bullion but seeing the massive jumps in gold during the 70's I think we could be in for some of the same.
                      my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Working...
                      X