• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Earth 'not at risk' from collider

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Our planet is not at risk from the world's most powerful particle physics experiment, a report has concluded.

The document addresses fears that the Large Hadron Collider is so energetic, it could have unforeseen consequences.

Critics are worried that mini-black holes made at the soon-to-open facility on the French-Swiss border might threaten the Earth's very existence.

But the report, issued the European Organization for Nuclear Research, says there is "no conceivable danger".

So that's alright then...

Linky
    Sounds like the beginning of Half Life!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I daresay the experimental physicists involved in this project have made similar calculations - they probably also have spouses, children and big shiny motor cars that they don't want to see annihilated
      Cause and effect ... boring. Don't bother me with detail.

Everlasting fame and a Nobel prize ... I want some.

"Professor ShinyBonce, I command you to press the RED button. NOW!

Bwa ha ha ha ha haaa!"
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        At least if they do destroy the earth the end will be quick.

It'll be just like The Wizard of Oz so will take at least 90 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          At least if they do destroy the earth the end will be quick.
          Not necessarily. If a strange quark were created, it would take a long time and be unpleasant for those of us who live up here on the crust.

Meanwhile, linky. Details linky.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Unfortunate as it is to see the end of your loved ones, there is a "positive side" to the black hole earth gobbling scenario.

At least you can go, comforted in the fact that all the evil sob's who have done you harm get their just deserts too :-)

I wonder if it would create a "disturbance" in the Force ?

Que Sera Sera
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

So long as France goes first it'll be worth it

Comment

Originally posted by pisces View Post
                So long as France goes first it'll be worth it
                America
                Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
                "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
                Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Wasnt Nikolai Tesla the last guy to really experiment with the unknown when he created the worlds first EMP weapon (cept there was nothing to EMP back then apart from the power station on the other side of the country he shorted out)????

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    The document addresses fears that the Large Hadron Collider is so energetic, it could have unforeseen consequences.
                    Anything can have unforeseen consequences. That's why they're unforeseen.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Anything can have unforeseen consequences. That's why they're unforeseen.
                      That reminds me of the Corporate Risk Manager at ClientCo.

He is adamant that if we all record our risks in his special template then everything will be fine.

Meanwhile, as we all dutifully fill in our little forms, projects slide gently into the mud.

Code:
                      Risk number: 548
                      Description: Unforeseen consequences mean we may blow up the world.
                      Probability: 15%
                      Impact: 100%
                      Countermeasures: Do not press the RED button.

"Professor ShinyBonce! When you quite finished with that spreadsheet, will you please get on and press the RED button?"

Comment

Working...
                      X