• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody hell!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    double spooky... Just fitted a 6ft mirror to the wall after 4 attempts of drilling into plaster and watching it crumble in front of me. I hate plaster board.
    Gotta use a long drill and get the plug into the breeze block behind the plasterboard... unless its a partition wall in which case you're limited to where the noggins are

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

This wall was put there long before the wonders of breeze block... 1898 long ago.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

This wall was put there long before the wonders of breeze block... 1898 long ago.
        How big a job do you want to make of this?

You can get plasterboard anchors. They should work, there is a big threaded outer which screws into the plaster and then you put a smaller screw into the anchor. Dont buy the plastic ones. Anything heavy will just pull a huge chunk of wall out.

Otherwise. Use a pull saw to cut out between the noggins then screw in some brackets then a sheet of plywood on the brackets. Plasterbaord over the ply then plaster smooth. Then you can drill and screw to the wood. All the new lights in my house are mounted like this.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          Anything heavy will just pull a huge chunk of wall out.
          Yah this has already happened. Anchor pulled a chunk out of the wall, plaster just crumbled.

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          Otherwise. Use a pull saw to cut out between the noggins then screw in some brackets then a sheet of plywood on the brackets. Plasterbaord over the ply then plaster smooth. Then you can drill and screw to the wood. All the new lights in my house are mounted like this.
          Sounds like a plan - all this for a mirror though. Thinking a missionary drill bit will get a hole into the stone. Should be the easiest.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yah this has already happened. Anchor pulled a chunk out of the wall, plaster just crumbled.

Sounds like a plan - all this for a mirror though. Thinking a missionary drill bit will get a hole into the stone. Should be the easiest.
            Our wall was masonry drilled and plugged, the wire on the back of the mirror just broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              What could be more exciting that a wall a mirror and a carpet?
              mm
              a lion , a witch and a wardrobe

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Freudian slip?

You will need realy long screws. Old plaster can be more than a couple of inches thick. You dont want the screws to be relying on the plaster for support.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                X