• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GBP/EUR exchange rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd guess inflation will be worse in the UK than in the Eurozone. The pressure to raise interest rates will be higher. Higher interest rates = more demand for £s. I'd expect the pound to buy more euros.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      I'd guess inflation will be worse in the UK than in the Eurozone. The pressure to raise interest rates will be higher. Higher interest rates = more demand for £s. I'd expect the pound to buy more euros.
      You would think, BUT

In the UK the economy is linked to the housing market. Raising rates will destroy the market further, causing a total collapse in the UK.

Therefore the BoE would rather have a sustained period of rampant inflation and protect the housing market.

Rates will remain constant or even fall.

Lending rates to borrowers however will continue to rise, regardless.

Therefore I would say Sterling is heading towards parity with the Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        You would think, BUT

In the UK the economy is linked to the housing market. Raising rates will destroy the market further, causing a total collapse in the UK.

Therefore the BoE would rather have a sustained period of rampant inflation and protect the housing market.

Rates will remain constant or even fall.

Lending rates to borrowers however will continue to rise, regardless.

Therefore I would say Sterling is heading towards parity with the Euro.

That's a possible move (under pressure from Gordo) but very dangerous (and stupid)
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I hope the pound collapses as I have just scored a job in Germany.

I also transfered 45000 euros to GB when it dropped to 1.2.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            Which city? If you don't mind volunteering the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Which city? If you don't mind volunteering the info.
              Yeah, perhaps we should have a expat CUK do some time
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

WTF? You've transferred 45000 euros to GBP and now you want the GBP to collapse?

Comment

Sterling has followed the greenback down the pan, but not as fast. Neat trick that, it made the pound look stronger when in truth it was weakening. The result has caused massive inflation in food and energy imports.

The UK needs serious cuts in public spending, tax cuts, and an increase in interest rates. None of which is going to happen. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be the result of ‘a period of consultation and study’.

However, fixing the problems of past maladministration will cause problems of it own by deterring the investment in the economy that it desperately needs.
                  In short, we’re fracked.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    Yeah, perhaps we should have a expat CUK do some time
                    expat (tm)

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                      WTF? You've transferred 45000 euros to GBP and now you want the GBP to collapse?
                      Yes. I earned it at 1.6 so I made a decent wedge on that lot.
                      I am now going back to work in euroland so I want my 75 euro per hour to be worth lots of pounds.

Pondlife. I am going to South West Germany. I will be using a local airport though I could use Munich or Stuttgart. Both are within striking distance.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X