• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wimbledon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Anyone else going this year?
    I go there every year - have done for nearly 10 years. Will be there next Thur-Fri-Sat. Couldn't get tickets for 'the peoples' Saturday' obviously so will be queuing up overnight - it's a laugh though, keep meeting the same people in the queue.

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    You could not be more wrong.
    Indeed - even if there's no English representation it's always worth going to see Wimbledon live and up close. Nothing like it.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Of course they would. The difference nowadays is the power of the rackets and the physique of the players. greats like Laver, Rosewall, Emmerson, Borg, Mcenroe, Newcombe would have adapted to todays requirements. Rugby players on the other hand were just too short to compete with todays Orcs
      Isn't that a contradiction? You compare it to rugby referencing the size issue and then say the difference is the physique of the old tennis players when compared with today's pro's.

The fact is that players today are fitter, stronger, better coached etc etc. The question should really be phrased differently for a valid comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        so will be queuing up overnight
        Me too. Lookout for my red tent

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          The fact is that players today are fitter, stronger, better coached etc etc. The question should really be phrased differently for a valid comparison.
          It's the old George Best argument. The beeer-drinking chain-smoking athletes of the 70s wouldn't really stand up to today's.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I go there every year - have done for nearly 10 years. Will be there next Thur-Fri-Sat. Couldn't get tickets for 'the peoples' Saturday' obviously so will be queuing up overnight - it's a laugh though, keep meeting the same people in the queue.
            Nice one, rh. This'll be the 3rd year in a row for me as have got a mate who knows a line judge who gets an allocation of ground tickets. Handy.

Have fun overnight queuing - should be fun!
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
              It's the old George Best argument. The beeer-drinking chain-smoking athletes of the 70s wouldn't really stand up to today's.
              Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                mate who knows a line judge who gets an allocation of ground tickets. Handy.

Have fun overnight queuing - should be fun!
                Exactly what I used to do! Then we'd either blag our way onto the show courts or go to the resale queue at the back behind Aorangi (Henman) Hill. Seen some excellent games that way. Court 18's one of the best to be at without a show court ticket - that or the back of 3, or 13 - in the 'grandstand'.

Be sure to take advantage of the discounted food and free drinks at the 'buttery' if you get the meal ticket with your umpires pass - and borrow your mate's umpires pass for a game on Centre while he/she's on a break.

Yes, yes - I know this is a contractors' board - but without 14k+ or a membership of the club there's no way of guaranteeing a seat for any game - but it's part of the charm. (I don't love tennis that much to spend that much. Not yet anyway).

Comment

..hopefully Tim might win this year !!!!!
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    ..hopefully Tim might win this year !!!!!
                    You should venture out of that cave a bit more often BGG.

Comment

.... Court 18's one of the best to be at without a show court ticket - that or the back of 3, or 13 - in the 'grandstand'....
                      I think you might find the layout somewhat changed this year - there's been cranes & diggers all over the outside courts for the last year or so.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X