• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your favourite 4x4 ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don’t get everything you want, think of the things you don’t get that you don’t want.
    —OSCAR WILDE

Men tend, I think—more than women—to get bound up in wanting “things.” I’m not talking about the proverbial roof over our heads, or a few good suits, or even a car that can be counted on to start when you turn the key. I mean the big things: The BMW, the Big Vacation Home at the Lake, the Armani Suits, the Platinum Card. And what if we fill our lives & every corner of our houses with these things? It still doesn’t save us from finally, one day, in confronting ourselves in what all the accumulated stuff really means to us.

And, of course, as usual, Oscar Wilde was right.

We need to step back when we can’t make a big enough downpayment for the Maserati & say: “Well, the roof hasn’t fallen in, my kids are healthy & I’m really pretty happy with the old Honda.”

I will try to think about what kinds of things I really need as opposed to what kind of things I think I deserve. I will try to concentrate more on filling my life with things that can stand the test of time.

Comment

Don't like 4x4s, but if I had to have one I would go for the Nissan Terrano.

Comment

We need to step back when we can’t make a big enough downpayment for the Maserati & say: “Well, the roof hasn’t fallen in, my kids are healthy & I’m really pretty happy with the old Honda.”
        Indeed, I've taken a small detour from the path of virtue this week, but in general I have everything material that I want. Certainly everything I'm prepared to sell chunks of my life for, anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X