• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractor burnout ... career break?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    FFS Quit yer whinging. The time is rapidly coming when you'll be begging for work, any work.
    well, maybe the downturn won't be as bad as you think. tbh i think things would be a bit more interesting if there was a recession ... it would get rid of the fly by night contractors .... maybe it would open up opportunities to work on projects that you might not otherwise have worked on using different skill sets... or on a really worthwhile project ...

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
      well, maybe the downturn won't be as bad as you think. tbh i think things would be a bit more interesting if there was a recession ... maybe it would open up opportunities to work on projects that you might not otherwise have worked on using different skill sets... or on a really worthwhile project ...
      Oh dear! You're quite young aren't you?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Oh dear! You're quite young aren't you?
        sounds like you have had the idealism knocked out of you over the years

Comment

I feel mucho burnt out too. Been contracting nearly 4 years in which I have taken very little time off, always expecting my contracting career d-day to come any day. Was consulting for 8 years before that, which in itself was a very stressful (though somewhat successful too) career.

Thing is, I can't take off months in a row because I have a growing family and I know I will find it hard to find the next contract seeing as I work in a crappy niche.

And I thought I was getting out of the rat race

So I'll just keep on screwing up my health until something gives.

Comment

I'm rarin to go!

Show me the money!

Contracts, let me at em!

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
              Exactly the same positions as yourself, except that my renewal isn't happening. Contract is ending .... when they told me I was like " yeh ... that's fine" and felt relieved

I could actually afford to take a couple of years off quite easily and start up again still with sizeable deposits in my business account!!! What I really want to do is get some of my own projects off the ground so I might spend some time doing that although I will still feel like I'm paying loads of stupid rent and not earning anything!!
              we are currently trying to sell our house and then rent using the interest from the equity but with current housing market so quiet we're not holding our breath for a quick sale anytime soon. I could alway get pregnant and live of benefits i suppose - trouble is, i hate kids
              Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
              "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
              Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
                Exactly those - I've only been contracting for a couple of years but was a permie in IT for a long time before and part of the reason I went contracting was because I thought it might break the monotony of permie life. It seemed to for a while but now I'm back to just hating anything with a keyboard.

My current gig is due for renewal soon and I'm just so not bothered, we can't really afford it but I'm really thinking of just bumming around for a while till the money runs out... I might see if I can think of something to sell on ebay or something.

I decided to take a break last year and it's now 11 months and I am just relaxing, learning portuguese and enjoying the summer. The only reason I would get another contract is if I actually need the money or I find some really interesting project. I have enough funds for a few years, but I am thinking of settling down and that may be the new motivation that I need!!

I had a health check in March after some chest problems while in Slovakia for a weekend and I decided that my health is my number one priority. Having time off has allowed me to go on a major health and fitness drive and I am now just over 13 stone, down from 15 stone and run and gym most days.

In contrast, one of my best mates, also a contractor, has so much more money than me but just won't take a break and I have noticed a severe decline in his health.

Money is not everything folks and the major reason that I took up contracting was the flexibility I could enjoy after nearly 25 years as a permie !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  In contrast, one of my best mates, also a contractor, has so much more money than me but just won't take a break and I have noticed a severe decline in his health.

Money is not everything folks and the major reason that I took up contracting was the flexibility I could enjoy after nearly 25 years as a permie !!!
                  Yep, health is far more important than money. Unless you need the money to pay medical bills/insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
                    trouble is, i hate kids
                    If you can get that medically diagnosed then you should be able to claim for extra benefits for child care
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                      I feel mucho burnt out too. Been contracting nearly 4 years in which I have taken very little time off, always expecting my contracting career d-day to come any day. Was consulting for 8 years before that, which in itself was a very stressful (though somewhat successful too) career.

Thing is, I can't take off months in a row because I have a growing family and I know I will find it hard to find the next contract seeing as I work in a crappy niche.

And I thought I was getting out of the rat race

So I'll just keep on screwing up my health until something gives.
                      The joy of contracting is earning enough to allow yourself the time off. Otherwise what is the point? Of course you feel burnt out - you've allowed yourself to get to that stage.

And what's a contract career d-day anyway?
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X