• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

prisoners to learn technology skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The "rehabilitation of offenders act" not withstanding of course...
    I worked as a bank clerk back in my late teens, at a branch right next to the local NACRO office and once a week the ex-cons would come piling in with their allowance cheques. Scared the tulip out of me at first (I was only 17), but they were an OK bunch after a bit of banter, just trying to stay out of trouble for the most part. Very illuminating.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      ... it is very difficult (if not impossible) to get a serious job with a criminal record.
      Lie like everyone else. Worked for me.

A spell in chokey made me into the man I am today
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Some positions in IT have a fair bit of responsibility. If one of these ex-cons are employed in SysAdmin I could well see they might trash a major database and nick the backup tapes for a laugh, losing the client millions. They might even try to blackmail the client for a few 100 £k's for their return.

Criminals are scumbags, and should be kept out of positions of power.

Comment

As a taxpayer with no criminal record, as a bolshie opinionated git, as an intolerant ratbag, can I just say:

if someone in the nick wants to knuckle down and do some qualifications in the hope of getting a job when outside, I am perfectly appy to have my tax money pay for that training.

(If you are going to write off anyone sent to prison then the only fair and sensible thing to do is the death penalty instead. I do NOT want my tax money wasted on keeping ex-prisoner in idle leisure for the rest of their lives, especially if they show an interest in becoming a tax payer.)
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            Criminals are scumbags, and should be kept out of positions of power.
            Not ALL criminal are scumbags, you should stop reading the red-tops.

Comment

I'm a criminal, I'm a scumbag and I read the red tops.

More importantly, I think KP makes AndyW look smart.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
              X