• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "prisoners to learn technology skills"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I'm a criminal, I'm a scumbag and I read the red tops.

More importantly, I think KP makes AndyW look smart.

Leave a comment:

• JamieMoles
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Criminals are scumbags, and should be kept out of positions of power.
    Not ALL criminal are scumbags, you should stop reading the red-tops.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    As a taxpayer with no criminal record, as a bolshie opinionated git, as an intolerant ratbag, can I just say:

if someone in the nick wants to knuckle down and do some qualifications in the hope of getting a job when outside, I am perfectly appy to have my tax money pay for that training.

(If you are going to write off anyone sent to prison then the only fair and sensible thing to do is the death penalty instead. I do NOT want my tax money wasted on keeping ex-prisoner in idle leisure for the rest of their lives, especially if they show an interest in becoming a tax payer.)

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Some positions in IT have a fair bit of responsibility. If one of these ex-cons are employed in SysAdmin I could well see they might trash a major database and nick the backup tapes for a laugh, losing the client millions. They might even try to blackmail the client for a few 100 £k's for their return.

Criminals are scumbags, and should be kept out of positions of power.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    ... it is very difficult (if not impossible) to get a serious job with a criminal record.
    Lie like everyone else. Worked for me.

A spell in chokey made me into the man I am today

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The "rehabilitation of offenders act" not withstanding of course...
    I worked as a bank clerk back in my late teens, at a branch right next to the local NACRO office and once a week the ex-cons would come piling in with their allowance cheques. Scared the tulip out of me at first (I was only 17), but they were an OK bunch after a bit of banter, just trying to stay out of trouble for the most part. Very illuminating.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    all the law in the world doesnt make a shiite of difference. If an employer gets a whif of a record they find a way not to take you on.
    Yeah, I can imagine. But who would tell?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    all the law in the world doesnt make a shiite of difference. If an employer gets a whif of a record they find a way not to take you on.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    This was back in 97. 18 months HMP Lancaster.
    Is this in any way related to the "Gunman" bit?!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    The courses available at my prison were all word/excel/other applications and could be done to a variety of levels. There was also an NVQ in business management.

It makes sense in some ways and not in others. Recidivism rates drop dramaticaly if the offender can find gainful employment away from the usual crowd.
    Not everyone in prison is thick so a range of courses from basic wiring to the full cisco networks engineer would be good. These qualifications would be in demand skills and would actualy give a bit of status if the offender got a job.

The down side is that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to get a serious job with a criminal record.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    The courses available at my prison were all word/excel/other applications and could be done to a variety of levels. There was also an NVQ in business management.

It makes sense in some ways and not in others. Recidivism rates drop dramaticaly if the offender can find gainful employment away from the usual crowd.
    Not everyone in prison is thick so a range of courses from basic wiring to the full cisco networks engineer would be good. These qualifications would be in demand skills and would actualy give a bit of status if the offender got a job.

The down side is that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to get a serious job with a criminal record.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    How long before they start posting here, asking why they've been knocked back for SC?
    Not a reason to fail.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I'm sure this scheme has been in place for years.
    It has; a former colleague of mine left to start a vocational training course at a prison about 8 years ago (DBA, if I recall).

How long before they start posting here, asking why they've been knocked back for SC?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I wondered who nicked my fooking code!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    A few places I've worked I'm sure this scheme has been in place for years. .Net is crying out for more coders, and I'm sure they'll fit right in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X