• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accomodation - Bath

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I would have expected the Client paying for hotel accommodation was a pointer toward IR35.
    AFAIK you would be wrong.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Client paying for Accom, surely that puts you inside IR35?
      No, why? Recovered business cost is how I see it.

As for Bath, it's got a University, a College and 5 million tourists a year. I think there's a fair chance you can find anything from a room in a B&B* up to £1500 a night in the royal Crescent Hotel... I know people who have haggled decent repeat rates out of the hotels along Gt Poulteney St.

Public transport is horrible and the traffic is appalling, so be careful about location

*There's one I pass regularly called "Nessum Dorma". I always wonder if the owners can speak Italian...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've never known a client to pay for accomodation when I've worked away from home, or even to have considered it. They'd just hire someone local instead. Unless you had unique skills and they were based in a really inaccessable place, I suppose. But that doesn't really apply to Bath, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          I've never known a client to pay for accomodation when I've worked away from home, or even to have considered it. They'd just hire someone local instead. Unless you had unique skills and they were based in a really inaccessable place, I suppose. But that doesn't really apply to Bath, does it?
          In the last 3 years I have had contracts in Liverpool ,Manchester, Bath, Bristol, Dundee etc etc. I have quoted an excluding expenses rate every time, i.e. client pays for travel and accomodation end of.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            *There's one I pass regularly called "Nessum Dorma". I always wonder if the owners can speak Italian...
            None shall sleep, maybe the central heating is noisy?
            Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 June 2008, 12:19.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Depends if you live in Bristol...

However, I've done gigs where I invoiced my day rate plus explicit accomodation costs, I've done them where I've upped my rate to cover it invisibly and I've done them where the rate was set, take it or leave and so paid accomodation out of the gross. None of it has anything to do with IR35.

Also don't forget if you're working for a big company, they'll most likely have a deal with a local hotel or three that saves you both some wedge.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                In the last 3 years I have had contracts in Liverpool ,Manchester, Bath, Bristol, Dundee etc etc. I have quoted an excluding expenses rate every time, i.e. client pays for travel and accomodation end of.
                Well, I've missed a trick there then. But I'm only a ten-a-penny web developer and never seem to have much negotiating leverage when it comes to getting contracts. You go through agents to do this, right? Does the client just agree to cover hotel and travel bills, or is there some pre-arranged amount they pay?

Comment

You go through agents to do this, right?
                  Not always. Last 3 contracts have been through contacts. However when using agents I always make sure they understand the quoted rate is exclusive of expenses (and VAT for the thick ones)

Does the client just agree to cover hotel and travel bills, or is there some pre-arranged amount they pay?
                  The client agrees to cover hotel and travel. I have had one where they put a cap on the hotel before i.e. they will pay any hotel up to £120 per night but most have been happy to just pay. As Malvolio mentioned most big clients have agreements with hotel chains and can organise decent rates for a quality hotel.

Comment

Well, I'll certainly be trying that in future then. May be back here for more tips when they say, "You're avin a larf mate" or something.

Comment

Well, I'll certainly be trying that in future then. May be back here for more tips when they say, "You're avin a larf mate" or something.
                      Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X