• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's Official now Obama leads the free world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon he'll do it - McCain has had a free field for months, and plenty of chances to get stuck in and build up a decent campaign war chest and hasn't managed too (Money is crucial in these things) do either significantly. Plus he's got plenty of baggage as well.

As for the American heartlands - it'll be interesting, he doesn't do well amongst white working class people, or middle aged women but he does well everywhere else, and looks like he could mobilise the black vote - which is significant in the south where the Christian right have a disproportionate say in US politics - might counteract that - plus they're not exactly massive fans of McCain so might not even bother to turn out ...

His biggest problem to date has been his crazy ex preacher, but then again McCain has associations with some nutty preachers too so he'll need to draw a fine line.

I reckon either is good, but Obama would nudge it for me, and I think he'll get it - but it's way early days yet.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Can't imagine much scares a man who spent over 5 years in a Vietnamese POW camp... linky

Makes Abu Ghraib [sp] seem a bit tame to be honest.

Comment

I wouldn't like to be in Obama's Secret Service protection detail if he wins.
        Every racist nutter in the US will be out to get him. Sad but true.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Shoot!
          He's white, ain't he?
          A famous quote from near the end of the movie Trading Places springs to mind, which I won't repeat because it was made in the 80s when that word could still be used. I think it was Samuel L Jackson who said that the only time a black man will be president is just before some world catastrophe like Deep Impact.

So if he does get in.. beware....
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I have money on McCain, a sure thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I wouldn't like to be in Obama's Secret Service protection detail if he wins.
              Every racist nutter in the US will be out to get him. Sad but true.
              Agreed, I think he'll be a target if it even looks like he might be in with a shout.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                Agreed, I think he'll be a target if it even looks like he might be in with a shout.
                Have you not seen 24 series 1?. Jack Bauer will sort everything in a day.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Actually, no, I haven't see any of them (or any of the CSI's). Not my "bag" maaaan.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
                    Well in November of whenever they hold their elections over there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7434791.stm

Can't wait for the Christian Right to get out their prams.
                    'Not worth listening to' - that is for f'ing sure.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      I've only seen 24 series 4? The one where the Black president gets assassinated right at the beginning.

Good luck to the guy, you can’t tell me that out of 300m Americans the wife of a former president is the best person for the job?? It’s supposed to be a democracy not a bloody monarchy.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X