• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The value of a non-scientific education ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hated science subjects....

making me shudder even now
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

You know what they say about Socrates; a lovely little thinker, but a ... YouTube
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Socrates know aof the scientific method?
        But great minds do think alike.
        Well Socrates was bent over a marble table, then had a barge pole shoved up his acropolis. After that they made him drink a dodgy cup of hemlock.

Beware who you imitate O SasOcrates

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Well Socrates was bent over a marble table, then had a barge pole shoved up his acropolis.

After that they made him drink a dodgy cup of hemlock.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            I agree, although what you call pseudo sciences are simply not. Economics is about the allocation of scarce resources, polsci is politics.

If more scientists understood human behaviour, as well as they understood their own disciplines, they would be more rounded and better able to identify workable solutions. eg: global warming.

Philosophy is central to all decision that are made, you can decide to have a consistent conscious philosophy, or not decide, and have a contradictory mongrel of philosophies (eg sasguru).

Politics is the translation of philosophy into how government should be designed and function, without this, on what basis do any scientists have a reason to make proposals on what should or should not be done about something.
            Could someone convert that into formulas for me please?

Comment

Well Socrates was bent over a marble table, then had a barge pole shoved up his acropolis. After that they made him drink a dodgy cup of hemlock.

Beware who you imitate O SasOcrates

Is there an un-dodgy cup of hemlock?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Is there an un-dodgy cup of hemlock?
                Maybe it was the cup itself that was dodgy; a wonky handle or something.
                B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                  Maybe it was the cup itself that was dodgy; a wonky handle or something.
                  If I had the barge pole thing I would probably need hemlock afterwards. Imagine it had a dodgy handle and broke - tsk.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Could someone convert that into formulas for me please?
                    I was taught

Politics is about power
                    Power is about getting people to do things they would not do voluntarily

The philosophical angle is hogwash. What would happen if all the philosophers in the world went on strike tomorrow ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I was taught

Politics is about power
                      Power is about getting people to do things they would not do voluntarily

The philosophical angle is hogwash. What would happen if all the philosophers in the world went on strike tomorrow ?

What is hogwash?

Who owns a hog, and why does it need washing?

Comment

Working...
                      X