• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The value of a non-scientific education ..."

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    I wonder what kind of scientist sas is...

mad?
    Something like this?

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    I wonder what kind of scientist sas is...

mad?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Indeed. Good back up of my point.
    Good interpretation of the evidence

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Indeed. Good back up of my point.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    You are exposing your cretinism. What has the craft of programming to do with science? Most programmers have very little knowledge of science as some of the threads on this forum show.
    Your convictions stem from an in depth analysis of the evidence I presume?
    Some people are convinced they have been abducted by aliens. Your convictions have about the same validity.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Your brain is just uncapable of the minimum logical connection. First you claim that to do technical jobs you only need an average intelligence. Now you are claiming that only people with science knowledge are of value. ?
    You are exposing your cretinism. What has the craft of programming to do with science? Most programmers have very little knowledge of science as some of the threads on this forum show.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Also, science needn't be boring these days. For example there's Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics
    "It is a little known fact, that Ms Spears is an expert in semiconductor physics. Not content with just singing and acting".

You call THAT singing and acting?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Also, science needn't be boring these days. For example there's Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    ...is virtually nil, IMHO.
    Plenty of slightly clever people study pseudo-sciences like Economics or Politics etc. yet have no clue about the value or not of their so-called knowledge. They don't have a clue about the epistemological basis of their discipline - but are good at writing essays and passing exams.
    I would wager that I could get an advanced degree in any non-scientific discipline purely by sticking to the current zeitgeist.
    If people can't grasp the basics of the scientific method or the mathematical and statistical underpinnings of evidence-based knowledge, what fliping use are their opinions?
    Your brain is just uncapable of the minimum logical connection. First you claim that to do technical jobs you only need an average intelligence. Now you are claiming that only people with science knowledge are of value. What's the purpose of your posts? And of your life in general?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Isn't that 60's?
    Its a fair cop!

Roll out the barrel....

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Which is not what you said originally
    Power is about getting people to do things they would not do voluntarily

Dont post when you have been doing drugs Dodgy

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    er..

If they dont want to go along, the definition of power is that you can make them do it anyways

Which is not what you said originally

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Yeeeeaaahhh grrrooovvyy bbbaabbbyyy!
    Isn't that 60's?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    So you measure power by the negative dynamic of getting as many people to do what they dont want to do, even if that ends up diminishing your own position?

So if for example I want to dominate the recruitment industry and become the most powerful person in it, I would only succeed by getting all those around me to do what they dont want to do? What if everyone around me by getting what they want also enabled me to get what I want?

I would sue your teacher if I were you.
    er..

I didnt talk about measuring
    I didnt talk about market domination

I am sure the best way for you to dominate your particular niche is for you to get your people to pull in harness with you. For your interests and theirs to coincide. I dont think anyone would disagree with you.

You might persuade them
    You might coerce them
    You might bribe them

You might get them to pull with you in a million different ways, BUT

If they dont want to go along, the definition of power is that you can make them do it anyways

I dont want to pay my corporation tax in August. but I will.

I hate to say it, and I am probably wrong, I usually am, but I think you may, possibly be missing the point

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 30 May 2008, 19:32.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I was taught

Politics is about power
    Power is about getting people to do things they would not do voluntarily

The philosophical angle is hogwash. What would happen if all the philosophers in the world went on strike tomorrow ?

So you measure power by the negative dynamic of getting as many people to do what they dont want to do, even if that ends up diminishing your own position?

So if for example I want to dominate the recruitment industry and become the most powerful person in it, I would only succeed by getting all those around me to do what they dont want to do? What if everyone around me by getting what they want also enabled me to get what I want?

I would sue your teacher if I were you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X