• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector employees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public vs Private sector

I've done the odd contract in the public sector when times were hard and it's true, you are not looked upon favourably afterwards and it's a long road back to top-rate contracts, but you still learn from every contract.
    Different mentality, frustrating technology, too many meetings, so obviously not to everyone's taste.
    On the plus side, money could be on a par with private sector, contracts tend to be in terms of years rather than months and STILL allowed to smoke within the building in designated areas, or so I'm told. When I used to smoke, we had smoking rooms on each floor (concession to the unions?)

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Article 13199 of the Pan-European constitution "No person shall be prejudiced from employment in any capacity, at any level, by reason of age, race, creed or incompetence."
      So that's how Bliar, Brown, Blears, Harman, etc. got jobs

Comment

Well, you have completely confirmed my thoughts and I am glad that I have actively avoided the public sector for any kind of work.

However, as has already been said, maybe somewhere nice to nestle down in my twighlight years - I just need to work on my tan, limbs and sexual orientation and I'm a shoe in!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Article 13199 of the Pan-European constitution "No person shall be prejudiced from employment in any capacity, at any level, by reason of age, race, creed or incompetence."
          or dishonesty.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
            Just think how many would be unemployed if the public sector did not exist. Many I have worked with in public sector gigs would be totally unemployable in the private sector.
            True, but it's still bad if it makes borderline incompetents, who might improve in the private sector, more unemployable there
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Interesting reading this post. I worked for a system integrators for a major government agency a few years back andswore I would never do i again. I didnt listen to my on advice and started for anoher agency 6 weeks ago, what a mistaka to maka!!

I'm currently looking around as I can currently feel my technical skills diminish by the day. I reckon 80% of my time is spent witing reports with dulicated information while the manager changs his mind and delays any kind of implementation on a daily basis. The project I was hired for keeps getting delayed by a matter of months, the IT dept is way over staffed with a generally incompetent number of people (Not everyone of course, but at least half)

It really is a different way of working and takes a certain kind of person to survive in there. I'm now looking around for permanet work which will involve a substantial pay cut but I have to do it for my own sanity and to keep my career on the go.

Comment

Working...
              X