• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ageism and Old cruisers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older people are essential in the workplace. For a start they know how to spell, they know about common sense and how to use their initiative, know their times table and can work out 9x7 effortlessly in their heads without using a calculator. These skills derive from good old fashioned playground activities that allowed kids to scrape their knees without the school being sued, games that encouraged kids to exercise, such as hopscotch and skipping, and they worked off any puppy fat by climbing ropes in the gym and throwing up in the school toilets after eating vile school dinners like meat pie, cabbage and copidex mash potato - all with vitamins in them. Metaphorically, kids learnt how to suffer and how to survive without having everything handed to them on a plate. If they were naughty at school they got a clip round the ear when their father got home and sent to their bedroom without any supper.

Youngsters these days don't have any of these skills. They are brought up on a diet of Walkers crisps, sweets, burgers and KFC and sit in front of their Playstations from the time they learn to talk. Their introduction to literature is to learn how to text message and so they talk and write only in text. They are schooled in what their rights are but not how to be responsible. That's because they are educated in an environment that emphasises political correctness and civic and media studies, rather than good old fashioned subjects like history, geography, maths and physics. They can't do even the simplest sum without using a calculator. If they cheek the teacher they are routinely diagnosed as having 'Attention Deficit Disorder' and get a tax draining visit from a social worker who carries out a psychological assessment resulting in the teacher being sacked for misdiagnosing a 'problem child.' These days all of them get grade A's just for spelling their name correctly.

Older people are the natural benchmarks of excellence. At one time the term, 'grey matter' referred to brains and intelligence, now I feel it should be the modern day prosperity slogan for all corporations to have someone over 50 on their client sites.

Yes grey matters.
    Last edited by Denny; 9 November 2006, 23:18.

Comment

Here here!
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        Not a Staffy is it? Ours like to remove your shoes and socks and then lick your feet. He gets quite insistant. Once he's done with that he likes to suck on the socks.

He's been known to lick the insides of shoes as well.

He's also partial to the odd football now and again.
        I have a Staffy, DaveB. He isn't into footplay, but does like to sleep. A lot.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
          Oh, and I don't smoke a pipe, or wear slippers (the wife keeps buying them for me, the dog eats them) or drive a Volvo
          Why don't you wear slippers? What's that got to do with being old?

I shared a house once with a guy who insisted on wearing his outdoor shoes all the time (he might have taken them off to go to bed, but we didn't share that bit of the house).

I digress, so to continue, when we moved out after 12 months there was a very very uneavenly worn patch of carpet next to the chair that he usually sat in - we had to pay for the 'unreasonable wear and tear'. All because the guy though it was nancy to wear slippers.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Forumbore
            You are falling for the old relativism trick. People in their careers are often --where they are because of choices that they make. people are Black or white not through choice. Women likewise, but women have different priorities, different peer pressures than men. There is no reason why a black man cannot be as good as a white man by virtue of his colour. The argument is clear cut. With sexism there are grey areas such as child birth, but with ageism there are genuine reasons for discrimination.
            I don't agree. There may be things that older people can't do as well, simply because they are older but this changes from person to person. I can't run a 4 minute mile (actually, I can't run a 10 minute mile). But that's because I am a lazy overweight slob, not because I'm the wrong side of 40. I couldn't run a 10 minute mile when I was 15, for the same reason. But some 40 year olds can run close to a 4 minute mile.

The problem is that people make assumptions about what a person can or can't do because of their age and filter them into the yes/no piles on this basis alone. They shouldn't do this. If they have a particular (reasonable) requirements to be able to do something, they should test the applicant to see if they can do it, not just assume that they can't because of their age.

And yes, I know that this means they are going to have more applicants to test. But (in most cases) filtering them out at this stage on the basis of age, is IMHO no less wrong than filtering them out on the basis of hair colour.

As has been said by others. I'm as good a programmer now as I was at 20. In fact I am better. I have lost none of my analytical ability, but I have gained the "Oh I've seen that before, it's because of X" experience which a 20 year old is never going to have. (It is true that I an old person might have lost their analytical ability, but I have't ... yet, and it is wrong for a prospective employer to assume that I have)

I can accept that no-one is going to want me as a permi at my point in my career. But that's because of the shorttermness of most of my contracts, not because of my age. It's unreasonable for any employer (in technology) to look further than 8-10 years ahead and I have more than enough working years ahead of me for that (just not the commitment to do it).

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
              All because the guy though it was nancy to wear slippers.
              I wear slippers. It's a practical move on my part to stop Mrs Bob moaning about my smelly feet all the time...
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
              X