• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restrictions in secure sites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get used to not seeing anyone in the office between 8 and 10 on Friday mornings as all the permies go for breakfast… get to the stationery cupboard and fill your boots!

Watch out for Dobby.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

My favorite memory of working for the government whilst SC was HMRC at Southend on Sea (or better know as the chav capital of the south), we once got told off for (and I quote) "sitting in someone’s place at lunch" one of the civil servant zombies there had complained as we were sat in his favorite place in the canteen.
      Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Pin code to enter your own office and a flashy red light on the ceiling when you've got visitors ....
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
          You're Harry Palmer, and I claim my five shillings' worth of luncheon vouchers
          Five shillings? Lot of money then.

2 grades above programmer got a picture on the wall, from the civil service selection of pictures (the list was by grade of course).

Telephones weren't a problem, there weren't any. No mobiles in those days (look kids, it's not THAT long ago) and programmer grade (E.O.) didn't get one on their desk. At least every desk had an ashtray, though.

Comment

One company (not .gov) I worked at had specifications for its most secure data centres (the ones that handled customer financial stuff like CC details) that included motion sensors in all raised floors/dropped ceilings/crawlspaces of any kind, no personal electronic devices of any kind allowed in, card necessary not only to enter any door (even internal doors) but also to exit (again, even internal doors), and even if you were responsible for the content on a server, you were still denied access to the physical machine - you could only SSH into it from a separate secure room while somebody who understood what you needed to do stood over you, watching your every keystroke. Fairly standard stuff in such a context, I would imagine.

(I, personally, wouldn't have a problem submitting my credit card information to this company, knowing what I know.)

Comment

Working...
            X