• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Snaw and 5x, you are condoning their violence?

Those without tickets had no need to travel.
    The city of Manchester had no obligation to provide those screens.
    A technical failure is always possible.
    Violence for any reason is unacceptable.

It is my opinion that Manchester was facing violence whatever the result.

It appears to me that Scottish football fans see a visit to England as an excuse to kick off.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

It appears to me that Scottish football fans see a visit to England as an excuse to kick off.
      This was an unneccessary comment. It was a very small proportion of fans. The majority of fans were well behaved. It had nothing to do with any Scottish \ English rivalry etc.
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
        This was an unneccessary comment. It was a very small proportion of fans. The majority of fans were well behaved. It had nothing to do with any Scottish \ English rivalry etc.
        Most of them that I encountered (except the one who showed me his knob) were well behaved - but I wasn't near any of the "fan zones". A lot of them were loud and stuff but mostly it was in good nature... every team has a select few who use a trip away as an excuse to kick off....
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

The language is very colourful so I've censored it, but it makes an interesting read all the same.

"Ive just got back from Manchester now. The firm i have just joined where doing event security for the game. Until we arrived this afternoon, we didnt realise that we where actually working on the fan parks in the city centre.

We got given high vis jackets then I was posted with 6 others to one of the gates at Picadilly Square Fan Park at around half 5. The crowds where unbelieveable, reminicent of Tacksim and Syntagma square for us, except in a much smaller area. Our job was to stop people entering with glass bottles. Bearing in mind this was my first ever shift, it was quite daunting. Alot of the people who i had to challenge for bottles where sound, had no objections because we provided plastic cups for them to enter their bottles in to. But there was alot of scum aswell, ***** out of their faces who had none of it. I asked one big feller to empty his bottle in to a cup, very politely, and i was told to *****. I then went over to him again, and he ***** me in the chest, i asked him again with a plastic cup in my hand for him and he threw me in to a fence. ***** this, i dont get paid enough for this ***** so i left him.

It was clear by then the sqaure was becoming dangerously overcrowded. Our gate was getting crushed, and we where pulled away by police for our own safety. We where moved further up to the entrance of the square, where barriers where accross preventing people from entering because it was too full. A lot of lads tried to get through, and the vast majority where sound about it and good natured with me. I had many a conversation with jocks when they noticed my scouse accent and realised i wasnt a manc. My advice to them was to find a pub before the rush, which went against what we where told to tell them which was to head for the fan park at the ground. I knew theyd have ***** there so i didnt tell them that. No problems whatsoever at this point.

Then about 20mins before kick off, an older scots feller came over to me and said hoow dangerously crowded it was in the square, he said "someone was going to get killed", and thats why he left. He also said to me "mark my words, there will be a riot in there". I had those suspicions myself. From my experience of Istanbul and Athens, you can tell when something is not right, and i definately sensed that then.

We then hit quarter to 8, and the square is rammed with Rangers fans, singing and watching the big screen for the adverts to end and the game to start. By 5 to 8, still no game. Then a supervisor gets it over his radio that they werent showing it. I couldnt believe it. My words to him where "there will be absolute ***** murder here, its ***** suicide". Jocks where coming over asking us what was going on, and we had to tell them. They where understandabely ***** fumin. I tried to tell them that i totally agreed with them, and that it was a ***** disgrace. Some where sound with me, recognising it wasnt our fault as event stewards. But then as people started to twig on what was going on, it started getting nasty.

There was about 15 of us on this gate with a few police near by, and the scots where fuming with us. Coming over, pushing us, screaming in our faces. What could we do? I agreed with every word they said, id be ***** fuming aswell, but it had ***** all to do with us. Then it got quite serious, bottles where being thrown, passing just past my face and lads where getting really aggresive with us. It was then when our head office told us to pull out, and the police moved us down a side street. We where getting dogs abuse, bottles thrown down at us, everything. Obviously the fact we where in uniform attracted it.

Then our supervisor said they had to try and move us in to one of the portacabins back in the middle of the sqaure. We walked through as a group, through thousands of scots who where going crazy, throwing all kinds, screaming in our faces. We eventually had to take our jackets off and run. When we made it to this portacabin, all hell was going off around us. Riot police where coming from everywhere, and hundreds of rangers fans where charging them. Bus shelter where ripped down, and metal and wooden poles used as weapons to charge the police. The place was totally trashed. A bottle landed right next to me which had been thrown from someone. This went on for 3hours solid until 11 oclock. We had to take off all jackets and ties, and when it quietened down about half 11 we where able to make way to our coach at the GMex. Back at the coach we heard a Russian had been stabbed aswell.

People have said that the big screen in our square had a technical fault and thats why the match wasnt shown. I know for a fact that is *****. It wasnt shown because of the shear numbers in the sqaure. The reasoning was that if Rangers scored, there would be bedlam. But whichever thick ***** makes these decisions obviously didnt realise the implications of not showing the game. If they wherent going to show it, they shouldve informed everyone at 6 o clock and give people time to fine somewhere else, not at ***** kick off. Its an absolute disgrace, and so typical of UEFA event. I couldve organised it better, it was a sham. They totally underestimated the amount of scots that would travel. Logical thing to do would be to put a big screen in old Trafford and let people watch it there, then there wouldve been no bother. 2 ***** ***** fan parks was never going to be enough. I could see it, everyone else could, why cant the ****** organisers of these events? Useless *****, heads should ***** role after tonight.

Ive spoke to my dad and others who've said that the news have reported it as small disturbances with a hand full of Rangers fans clashing with the police. Thats absolute *****, total *****. There where ****** hundreds, if not more, and this went on for hours right in front of my eyes. To be fair, the amount of Scots lads who made the effort to come over and speak to us while this was going on, simply saying "sorry" was amazing. I spoke to a feller who made the effort to come over to us when he seen us having all kinds thrown in our direction, and he just apologised on behalf of Rangers fans, and said what a disgrace and embarrasment it was. I know from experience that its always a minority who are scum, and tar everyone with the same brush. But thats what happened, anything you hear otherwise is *****, i ***** seen it with my own eyes. Rangers fans had every right to be ***** with what happened in that square, but the actions of some afterwards, the rioting for 2 hours, was inexcusable. And it wasnt a "handfull" either.
          "

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
            It may be, but......

The travelling Scottish fans (particularly Celtic) have been praised for their behaviuor all over Europe.
            Whenever they land on English soil it kicks off.

From the local news I watched it was a full scale riot no matter how few were involved.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

It may be, but......

The travelling Scottish fans (particularly Celtic) have been praised for their behaviuor all over Europe.
              Whenever they land on English soil it kicks off.

From the local news I watched it was a full scale riot no matter how few were involved.
              You can't compare Celtic and Rangers fans when travelling in England or Europe, rarely have Celtic fans ever caused trouble.

Perhaps this will give a perspective
              Me, me, me...

Comment

I'm not condoning violence at all, but you can see how it happened.

Technical failure just increased the tension and the end result was too much sun and booze coupled with disappointment was a recipe for disaster.

Of course the city of manchester has to put the screens up, it was a way of keeping 5/10k fans away from the already crowded pubs.

I don't buy into the Scots were always going to cause trouble on english soil, if they were then it would have been carnage instead of small sections.

Comment

No, not condoning it at all. It's predictable was what I meant. No matter who's playing, or what country they come from, sure if it was an English team the outcome would have been exactly the same, so get off your moral high horse.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    You can't compare Celtic and Rangers fans when travelling in England or Europe, rarely have Celtic fans ever caused trouble.

Perhaps this will give a perspective
                    Don't be fooled both as bad as each other......

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
                      Don't be fooled both as bad as each other......
                      Wrong. Rangers fans have had a bad reputation as travelling support for years.
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X