• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of bike do you want for your budget Road (Racing drop handlebars ....) or Hybred (Almost a bulky MTB but better on the roads)?

If you are in the City of London pop into Evans and hand over your CC and take one for a quick spin, at the very least youll get an idea of frame size taht is confortable for you.

THe Cayo bikes wiggle sell are excelent, well the Road bikes and MTBs are have no experience of the Hybreds?

If you are going to get a road bike then get one with Mudguard holes for those wet winter days, take the mudguards off in the summer?

Also invest in some clip in peddals and shoes, changes your whole cycling experience.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      But you've got to spend a lot of money to get a good cyclocross bike...
      Of course. But he's just wanting to commute. A racer is no good as you can't fit mudguards.

I wouldn't bother with that one from Halford, disk brakes are a pain on a regular commute bike, either the pads don't last long or are useless, and cheap disk brakes are so snatchy. Headset is awful. Also you can't fit decent mudguards or a rack. Tires and components are cheap cheap cheap, you can get better for that money. Oh, it's just nasty.

Regular rim brakes are cheaper, longer lasting and lighter, easy to replace and adjust. Drum brakes are by far the best, but unless you're well into bike repair, they can be irritating.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Of course. But he's just wanting to commute. A racer is no good as you can't fit mudguards.
        SKS Raceblades for when there are no holes, the dogs undercarriage of mudguards.
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof View Post
          SKS Raceblades for when there are no holes, the dogs undercarriage of mudguards.
          Oh dear. Race blades are one of the wonders of marketing, they are quite pointless extra weight (and badly fitted ones are an extra hazard I might add).

Mudguards are to protect the bikes mechanics; you can just put on a fresh shirt and shorts, so they need to be full length, with a flap on the front one

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            I'm currently cycling around 20 miles per day to and from work but my bike is not up to the job; hence I need a replacement. I'm not going off road at all - so I'll be quite happy with a hybrid. Bike technology has come on so much since I last bought a bike (15 years) that I really don't know what to look for. Is £400 a reasonable budget and what bits are important?

Cheers

Andy

Where is Shimano when you need him?
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Guess it depends on ya route, but mines a Charge Plug.... http://www.chargebikes.com/products/...tail.php?id=11 So I have a busy A-road, then City Centre, then another A-road, a lil bit of Hardshoulder then a dirt track, another A-road then a Town Centre. Its Single speed, but loads of fun, and the course is about 8 miles (training run, plus commute (when its dry lol))

Comment

I've got a Raleigh Grifter you can have for a tenner.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Thanks

Bought one of these over the weekend and rode it to work this morning. It's very nice but has brobably been nicked by now...
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I used my bike quite a bit over the weekend. The freedom to roam is quite incredible and more people should be encouraged to get on their bikes. This should be a Tory policy

Edit: My brakes squeal like mad though.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      I used my bike quite a bit over the weekend. The freedom to roam is quite incredible and more people should be encouraged to get on their bikes. This should be a Tory policy .
                      When Boris is Prime Minister it will be!

I got out on mine at the weekend for the first time in ages, did about 3 miles on Sat & another 5.5 on Sun, mostly off road etc, great fun!

Another vote for Wiggle for accessories here, bought my hybred from a place in Crowthorne. I always try and buy from a proper bike shop rather than Halfords etc..

Comment

Working...
                      X