• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freesat...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Really?

Unencrypted?

Now yer talking...
    Good God! I thought the giant lizards already knew how to get past that piffly encryption stuff....

I think that there is an issue with sky boxes in that they are limited to a signal rate of 27500 for SD and 29500 for HD, most of the dvb-s receivers will handle far more - of course that probably doesnt matter for the purposes of freesat. Also issues about channel lists/menus.

I've been using technomate boxes for a few years
    plenty of cheap boxes on the market - look at the linux based ones for most 'functionality'

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Mum complained to me
      Did the old man at least stand you a couple of pints

Comment

I've heard of something called a D-box which means you can get ALL the sky channels without having to have a dish installed - is this right?

If so it would be a boon to us as we live in a block of flats which has banned all satellite dishes
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
          I've heard of something called a D-box which means you can get ALL the sky channels without having to have a dish installed - is this right?

If so it would be a boon to us as we live in a block of flats which has banned all satellite dishes
          Are they allowed to do that, when there are channels that you can not get otherwise?

Comment

Nope. You need a sat dish - the dbox/dreambox/technomates/etc/etc all have software add ons to break the encryption - you still need to get the signal.

And of course the building owners can say no dishes. Depending on where it is it might not even be their call. planning etc.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Sky boxes do unencrypted stuff just fine (otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch the BBC, ITV etc.). Pull your card out if you don't believe me.

I assume what's actually new is they're now doing their own EPG - that's the channel numbers and programme information etc., which the new boxes will use. If you get Sky Freesat with a Sky box, you'll get all the Sky channels listed most of which you won't be able to see. Broadcasters have to pay money to Sky to be on the Sky EPG, so maybe some free channels will decide not to do that and only appear on the new freesat, but you can bet they'll only be scraping the bottom of the barrel shopping channels.

All a bit confusing for the consumer. But an old Sky box will be 99% as good.
              Good points, well made. I don't pay for Sky but do have an old box and card and noticed the other day that it worked without the card so I should've known this.

Comment

Freesat?

Some people here are clearly not as rich as they pretend.

Comment

It's beyond ridiculous now.

How many boxes do you need these days so you can wallow in every channel imaginable serving up the same trash ?

Sky, then Freeview, then Llord knows what else...

I think the answer, if someone hasn't done it already, is to ask Farmer Jethro if you can have an acre, buy every flipping dish and decoder you can possible get, and then offer an internet streaming service to punters.

It's got to be more attractive than having 17 blimming boxes and 5 dishes for each property.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by pisces View Post
                    Freesat?

Some people here are clearly not as rich as they pretend.
                    I'm poor, very very poor.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X