• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Duty-free allowance with the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I can't remember, when you get to the customs check-point, you don't normally have your luggage at this point do you?
    You go through the red channel if you have something to declare.

The green channel otherwise.

Most of the time the green channel is empty unless you are coming through at the same time as flights from destinations where people generally smuggle drugs.

If you throw away the packaging as stated many times, carry the Ipod on your person and put the receipts/manuals in your hold luggage then you will be just like anyone else. I people who have brought laptops in this way.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You go through the red channel if you have something to declare.

The green channel otherwise.

Most of the time the green channel is empty unless you are coming through at the same time as flights from destinations where people generally smuggle drugs.

If you throw away the packaging as stated many times, carry the Ipod on your person and put the receipts/manuals in your hold luggage then you will be just like anyone else. I people who have brought laptops in this way.
      Don't put the receipt/manuals in you hold luggage. Lose them (or post them to yourself). If you do and you are unlucky enough to get stopped and your luggage searched you them have some very interesting explaining to do.

Most of the stuff you are bringing in will be at works 5% duty plus VAT if you do declare.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Most of the stuff you are bringing in will be at works 5% duty plus VAT if you do declare.
        Which actually makes it un-economical if you're buying an ipod. Buying in NYC will add sales tax and take the total prices to about £20 less than buying in the apple store here.

USA store
        32GB = $499
        UK Store
        32GB = £329

From XE.com $500 = £253 + 5% + VAT = £312
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Is the onus on me to prove I already owned an item, or them to prove I bought it during my stay? A packaged iPod, one could claim "I brought it with me"... they can't prove otherwise but do they work on proof or reasonable doubt?
          It is up to you to convince the customs officer that you are not liable to pay duty.

Comment

What other items, besides iPod and a laptop does it makes sense to bring in to UK from US?

An XBOX360? (NTSC isn't it?), GPS unit?

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
              What other items, besides iPod and a laptop does it makes sense to bring in to UK from US?

An XBOX360? (NTSC isn't it?), GPS unit?
              Laptops - Macbook pro, $2499 (£1280) vs £1599 - quite a hefty saving

Also good is clothes - US designer labels are often $=£ in their conversions so you save approx 50% at the moment.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'm travelling to the US for 10 days and I'm trying to work out the rules with tax-free allowances when arriving in the USA and the UK.

Firstly, does it make any difference when I arrive in a country if I live there or not? For instance when I travel in the USA as a tourist, may I still buy tax-free items in the UK airport?

Secondly, as far as I can tell I can bring up to $800 worth of stuff INTO the US from the UK tax-exempt, but only £145 INTO the UK from the US. Is that correct (I'm not including booze or fags)?

Thirdly, if I buy something in a normal US store I will have paid tax on it. So when I bring items back to the UK, does it make any difference if I bought them in a normal store or at a duty-free shop in the airport on my way home? Things are so much cheaper in the US I don't really need to buy them duty-free.

From looking at the rules, it seems if I get an expensive iPod type device (say $400) in the US, it could be over my limit when I return. Is that really the case? There seem to be rules about gift-wrapping things and it's generally confusing me.
                The value of the goods does not get very high before you are required to declare them. The customs officers will have a table of rates to apply to goods and will charge that, they won't charge an exact amount relative to the amount that you actually paid.

If you are going to pay up, then it is worth keeping all the price tags and all the receipts and you might be able to challenge them if they value the goods too high.

Alternatively, provided that you are prepared, there is no need to pay at all.

I purchased a number of items of jewelry for Mrs Gonzo while on a trip to Dubai last year. All the packaging and receipts were left at the hotel, and she was wearing the lot when she walked through customs.

The important thing is that you need to be prepared so that you don't look guilty. Customs Officers can spot guilty looking people a mile away.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  The important thing is that you need to be prepared so that you don't look guilty. Customs Officers can spot guilty looking people a mile away.
                  Also don't be in a rush to catch a train/coach when you go through - the only time I've ever been stopped was when I was in a rush...

Comment

Working...
                  X