• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is the we hate Richard Stallman thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    No, it prevents you from making a proprietary version of the software. If you build your own product on somebody else's work, then you have to accept that they want you to apply the same principles to your product as they apply to their code, without which you wouldn't have had a product. Seems reasonable.

Also, you conflate "free software", as espoused by the subject of this thread RMS (as Richard Stallman prefers to be known), with open source. They're different, and RMS explicitly rejects the philosophy of the open-source movement as being insufficiently accommodating of the principles of software freedom that he espouses.

I shall assume that when you say "open source", you mean "free software". If you actually meant "open source", then you're arguing against the wrong thing for a thread about RMS.

Furthermore you still seem to believe that what RMS calls "proprietary software" is the only form of "commercial software". Again, I shall assume that when you say "commercial software" you mean "proprietary software", as otherwise what you say would make no sense (I don't mean that in a snarky way, but if we don't use consistent language it would be impossible to have a sensible discussion, and your terms are imprecise compared to RMS's.) "Free software" is free as in speech, not as in beer; as I posted above, RMS has never argued that "free software" should not be sold as commercial software.

It's had quite a few years to achieve that effect. Got any evidence for this yet?

Microsoft's anti-competitive practices have been acknowledged by both the US DoJ and the EC. The question you're really asking, though, is about business models: you seem to believe that the only viable business model is one where proprietary software is sold under licensing terms that restrict the freedoms of users. The fact that such companies as Red Hat and, indeed, IBM have constructed successful business models around free software (GNU/Linux, in their case) suggests that your assumption is not correct.

The evidence of reality over the last few decades is that people do, in fact, develop alternatives, and that many professional people provide a choice of high quality free software (whether for a monetary charge or not). Again, it's down to business models: you believe that the proprietary, closed-source business model is the only way to make money from software, when a glance around will show you that this is not the case.

What is the most widely-used web server software in the world? Do you really believe that Apache is developed by a few geeks hacking away in sweaty underpants in their mums' basements? No, it's written by highly professional people, who make a good living at what they do despite giving away the source.

Correct. IBM pays, Yahoo! pays, Google pays, even my current client pays: we are actively contributing back to the Django codebase on our current project. It's like saying "Thank you" for the fact that it was free - as in beer - in the first place.

The free software that powers, for example, the web isn't made by people giving their time for nothing. Again, you seem to think that the word "free" refers only to monetary considerations, whereas it explicitly refers to non-monetary considerations in RMS's philosophy.

One of the creators of Django is working with us as a consultant, and he's not doing that for free as in beer (I'm sure he's getting more than me): again, it's a different business model, and he's able to make far more than if Django had been kept proprietary.

Fine. Do so; nobody's trying to stop you. Again, your comment about the free software brigade seems to be based on your failure to understand the purpose and terms of the GNU General Public License. It's not trying to stop you making money, it's trying to prevent you restricting the freedom of the user to use your product in any way they see fit.

I don't know enough about the matter to comment, other than to say that I've never heard that suggested anywhere else. But I don't know.

"Better" than what? IE? It's worthy of note that Microsoft's IE team have thrown away the existing rendering engine, so that IE 8 will default (for web sites that suggest they are standards compliant) to using a new rendering engine that implements the same standards as Firefox's Gecko engine, retaining the old rendering engine that ran from IE4 to IE7 merely for backwards compatibility with cruddy old tag-soup sites.

Ever heard of Opera? They're still chugging along quite nicely.

Apple are also giving away a web browser (which is better than all of the rest for everyday use).

And Microsoft are getting quite a bit of kudos from the Web Standards brigade, as you'd probably call us, for their decision to throw IE 7 and down into the dustbin of history, and finally do what FF, Opera and Apple have been doing for years, so it's not right to say that they are in trouble - they were only ever in trouble with those concerned about web standards for polluting the market with a substandard, non-standards-compliant piece of bug-ridden junk, and they're finally making amends

As to why you'd want to create a new web browser... well, you might as well want to develop a new spreadsheet application. I cannot imagine any circumstances in which it would make sense for an individual to do that.

Why would people with a legitimate version of Windows want it to phone home to Redmond, decide incorrectly that something iffy was going on, and disable itself until they paid again? That's where Microsoft took itself with its addiction to the proprietary software model, and its own customers hate its guts for it. Not good business sense.

Ordinary users just want it to work, and hopefully to get better over time. By deliberately infecting their customers' purchased software with an application designed to protect the proprietary software business model, which then went wrong for some customers, Microsoft revealed the fundamental reason why software should be free: not so you can recompile the kernel with your own changes, but so that your working installation doesn't suddenly get turned off in a flawed attempt to protect the vested interests of its manufacturers' shareholders.

BTW, Microsoft are now involved in several open source (although not free software) projects, and have also started releasing specifications under Creative Commons, and with guarantees of no patent enforcement. Maybe they know something about the way the world of software is changing? Or has BillG become an RMS fanboy?

Whatever, you keep your source code to yourself. We don't actually need it. Whatever you've got, somebody else has done it as well or better, and will be setting it free (as in speech - not necessarily as in beer).
    Sorry I missed that. Could you say it again?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Apple are also giving away a web browser (which is better than all of the rest for everyday use).
      You must be joking. Really, you must.

Safari is a total crock!

I use Mac almost exclusively and still use FF as my main browser in preference to Safari. I only fire up Safari for compatibility testing for the very tiny percentage of clients that use it.

The Safari experience on Windows is nothing short of abysmal. Font rendering is God-Awful. Memory is a pig.

Giving it away is the only way Apple could ever get Windows-based devs to do anything for it (and more importantly iPhone).

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Indeed you can. VBA is your friend - it's not a friend I like very much, but there we are.
        Well blow me down with a feather.
        My Word experience will now be complete.

Where did I put that VBA book.........

Happy birthday to me, happy bitrthday to me
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Perhaps you should tell us what you mean by the terms?
          As this thread started with a misrepresentation of RMS's views, which is what I originally responded to, it makes more sense to link to his explanations of the terms:

The Free Software Definition

Why “Open Source” misses the point of Free Software

Selling Free Software

You seem to be under this paranoid delusion that proprietary software has to come with a raft of restrictions on use. Well I've paid for XP (a couple of times), Office, MS Visual Studio, and you know what? None of them have put any restrictions on what I can do with them (well okay there's that thing about not being used for terrorism that was in the old NT installs, but I can live with that).
          Windows XP Pro EULA

Without even scrolling the page to see past clause 1.3, I can see that:
          1. You are not given ownership of the software, merely a license;
          2. You may only install the software on one machine with no more than two processors;
          3. You may only use the software for thirty days unless you activate it in the manner ordained by Microsoft;
          4. You may permit no more than ten devices to connect to to your workstation for the purpose of using its services;

... and the list goes on - you'll find an enormous number of restrictions placed on your usage of the software, in addition to a large number of legal obligations placed upon you.

In fact, if there were any restrictions on VC++, or any royalties on what you could make with it, there's absolutely no way I would use it, or could use it.
          The Visual Studio EULA (warning: PDF) also imposes a great number of restrictions upon what you can do with your own products produced using it, including preventing you from licensing your product in certain ways (section 3.1(b)) and, rather bizarrely, preventing you from using an older version when you upgrade to a newer version (section 11.1). Good luck supporting a version of your product that breaks on a newer version of their libraries - not only are you not allowed to peek inside their code to find out why it doesn't work any more (section 6), but you can't even install the old version to test with
          Last edited by NickFitz; 8 May 2008, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Sorry I missed that. Could you say it again?
            Don't tempt me

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              Well blow me down with a feather.
              My Word experience will now be complete.

Where did I put that VBA book.........

Happy birthday to me, happy bitrthday to me
              Well blow you down indeed.

If you make false claims to support your position expect them to be blown down.

I'm not anti-OSS, as such, but neither can I understand the thinking of 'professional' developers who bang on and on about it being our salvation.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I'm not anti-OSS, as such, but neither can I understand the thinking of 'professional' developers who bang on and on about it being our salvation.
                Indeed... although my correction of the original false premise of this thread seems to have drawn me into correcting the various other misrepresentations of the free software movement that have been posted, I personally use a Mac, on the grounds that as a software developer I can't afford the hassle and proprietary lock-in of Windows, and am happy to pay for the proprietary OS X because it's simply streets ahead of Linux.

Much of the software I use on the Mac is either free software (some of which costs money if one can't be bothered to build from the source oneself) or open source, but a fair number of applications that I use on a daily basis are proprietary.

At the end of the day, what's important is to have the best tools to do the job - I even bought a legit copy of Windows XP Pro at full retail price simply because I have to test client-side code on Internet Explorer

There's a chap at CurrentClientCorp who refuses to use any proprietary software whatsoever... I can respect his principles, but I wonder what would happen if this came into conflict with the requirements of the business.

UPDATE: Just realised that I should have referred to "misunderstandings" rather than "misrepresentations" - I didn't mean to suggest that anybody was speaking in anything other than good faith. Sorry
                Last edited by NickFitz; 8 May 2008, 12:41. Reason: Corrections and clarifications

Comment

Well blow you down indeed.

If you make false claims to support your position expect them to be blown down.

I never said I had a position on the subject......

Personally I agree with NickFitz, I use whatever tools is best to get the job done, be it proprietory or open source.

I agree with your view on 'professional' developers as well, I have met so many developers who don't seem to understand that the language you use to develop is not important, it's how you use that language that is important.
                  Any code monkey (sorry nickfitz ) can pick up a programming language and write code. I am amazed at how many developers class themselves as "C# developers" or "Java Developers" or "VB Developers" and will stick to only one language when one of the others would be far better for the job in hand.
                  Last edited by blacjac; 8 May 2008, 12:33.
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Okay so I'll concede I had no idea that "free software" and "open source" aren't quite the same thing.

• You are not given ownership of the software, merely a license;
                    • You may only install the software on one machine with no more than two processors;
                    • You may only use the software for thirty days unless you activate it in the manner ordained by Microsoft;
                    • You may permit no more than ten devices to connect to to your workstation for the purpose of using its services;
                    All those things are about protecting their business, nothing to do with restrictions that affect the user (i.e. you can't resell it, you can't buy one copy and use it multiple times, you have to activate it - PITA, but no problem to legitimate users, and if you want to run a server you have to buy the server version).

The Visual Studio EULA (warning: PDF) also imposes a great number of restrictions upon what you can do with your own products produced using it, including preventing you from licensing your product in certain ways (section 3.1(b)) and, rather bizarrely, preventing you from using an older version when you upgrade to a newer version (section 11.1).
                    The first part basically says you can't distribute MS's code, only their DLLs, not really a suprise (i.e. you can't licence the redistributable parts in a way that means you have to supply code - i.e. the GPL), and the second part says if you pay for an upgrade price (i.e. discounted) you can't then use both versions - i.e. if you want to use it twice you have to pay twice. Again, protecting their commercial interests, not putting any restriction on legitmitately paid up users.

We're back to the same thing: this bizarre idea that users want to look inside the source code of products that they buy and modify them to their own ends. 99.9% of users don't have the skill even if they did want to, and why would they want to? I don't, and I'm a software engineer by trade. Accept that reality, and all this talk of freedom is a total irrelevance.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

All those things are about protecting their business, nothing to do with restrictions that affect the user
                      1. I bought Windows XP2 Pro SP2 about two years ago at full retail price - about £260;
                      2. I now buy one of these desktop/gaming machines from Dell;
                      3. The XP2 license forbids me from running my legitimately-purchased copy of the software on this machine because it's quad-core.

Seems like a restriction that affects the user to me - a perfectly usable piece of software that I bought two years ago, so that I could legitimately install it on a single personal computer, becomes valueless if I buy a new personal computer.

Note that I'm not talking about using the same software on two machines here - just transferring it to a new machine, which the license allows, but not if I buy a modern computer with multiple (>2) cores. Effectively, Microsoft's EULA infringes upon my freedom as a consumer by dictating what hardware I can buy if I want to make use of the software I bought from them.

Comment

Working...
                      X