• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reduced Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On one hand I've Just been offered a rate rise of 4% (makes the rate slightly less crap) and a renewal for 11 months on a job that is 25 miles from my house.

On the other hand - I've been offered another 6 month role with a equivalent of 33% rate rise 75 miles from my house with full DV clearance thrown in.

So its higher rate - longer commute and shorter contract or lower paid small commute and a lengthy contract?

I'm leaning towards the 6 month commuter (gets me away from the wife for longer in the day)

Any thoughts?
    It is better to be silent and thought of a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      On the subject of renewal - can I just canvass the board opinion - I'm having the extend or not conversation soon, but intend to look for another client after this one, would you renew for 3 months, or 6?

i.e. would it be better to be looking for another gig in August, or November?

Instinct says 3 months. Also have to think of a credible reason to insist upon 3 months. Client likely to offer 6.
      Better to look in the summer months when the permies are on holiday!

Plus if you are on the bench for a bit... at least you can enjoy yourself

TM

Comment

On the subject of renewal - can I just canvass the board opinion - I'm having the extend or not conversation soon, but intend to look for another client after this one, would you renew for 3 months, or 6?

i.e. would it be better to be looking for another gig in August, or November?

Instinct says 3 months. Also have to think of a credible reason to insist upon 3 months. Client likely to offer 6.
        Sounds like you are in a pretty strong position. How about upping the rate and extending for 6 months? That way you can take Dec off using the extra dough from the increase and look afresh in the new year.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Sounds like you are in a pretty strong position. How about upping the rate and extending for 6 months? That way you can take Dec off using the extra dough from the increase and look afresh in the new year.
          January?

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
            January?
            Perfect time for an extended holiday

Comment

Hmm... do I take the mick after my hefty rate rise last time, 6 months ago?

Tempting. Excuses for insisting on 3 months? Or shall I do what I plan to, which is just say it straight and give no reason?

Comment

Hmm... do I take the mick after my hefty rate rise last time, 6 months ago?

Tempting. Excuses for insisting on 3 months? Or shall I do what I plan to, which is just say it straight and give no reason?
                With this much indecision perhaps time to do a Wilmslow

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  With this much indecision perhaps time to do a Wilmslow
                  I walked into that one, I suppose.
                  I'll simply state my terms, throw a rate rise in, and see what happens. Just wanted to gauge opinion.

Comment

Extended with the rise I stated! Ker-ching! Job done, I'm off to the pub.

Comment

Extended with the rise I stated! Ker-ching! Job done, I'm off to the pub.
                      Well done that man!

Comment

Working...
                      X