• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatcher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    We need another Maggie? For what?
    So the government can only spend what it raises in taxes. and to cut red tape.

Comment

Whenever someone starts waxing lyrical about the good old days of Maggie I can't help but get this image in my head

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ory_boy203.jpg
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

You youngsters, eh. Filled up on propaganda instead of history.... I'll tell you what Maggie did, Gawd bless 'er...

Consider - we won WW2 but were utterly bankrupt. Dragging ourselves off the ground took 20 years, by which time the unions were in control of UK Ltd. Any attempt to do anything to make us competive was blocked, usually by strike action. A succession of weak governments (Macmillan, Wilson and Heath, mostly - that clown Callaghan was way too late) failed to deal with the problem and most made it worse. We were at the point where we had to ask for a loan from the IMF to keep the country alive FFS. And this was all directly attributable to protectionist, narrow minded and selfish unions who had total control of the UK economy. What Maggie did was very simple - she brought through legislation that controlled the unions right to strike and made it much more realistic, and took out secondary picketing. That allowed the management to manage the compnay without constantly being shafted. Sadly, by then, we had no hope of getting back to a competeive level in manufacturing since that business had already gone abroad, so we had to switch to a service economy, which is where NL took over. And they, bless 'em, have royally screwed it up. Ho hum....

And what people forget is that right at the start of Maggie's attack on the power of the unions and the state of the country's finances, she said quite plainly that it would hurt and that 3.5m people would lose their jobs while the recovery work was done, but that afterwards w would be able to compete again. So yes, it hurt but if she hadn't done it, we would be about as important as Portugal right now.

It wasn't Maggie what did for UK Industry, it was a few dozen unelected, card-carrying communists at the top of the union movement.

Sorry - came over all serious for a moment.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          So yes, it hurt but if she hadn't done it, we would be about as important as Portugal right now.
          It's all relative. Britain is less important than Portugal to me.

Comment

She embraced monetarism which has been proved to not work i.e. it facilitates boom and bust, we participated in that experiment and it almost bancrupted the country. So apart from crushing the unions, smashing UK industry and selling off the family silver she was a failure.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              She embraced monetarism which has been proved to not work i.e. it facilitates boom and bust, we participated in that experiment and it almost bancrupted the country. So apart from crushing the unions, smashing UK industry and selling off the family silver she was a failure.
              What is it that you do again?

Not sure you would have been so sucessful in the 1970's

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

Good point. I'd love for other countries to be able to offer me the same sort of rates as we can get in the UK.

Even factoring for the more costly living expenses, moving to mainland europe or further away (Oz) is more a lifestyle choice than anything. Certainly for me as a developer, unless I'm misinformed.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

Or 1980s because I wasn't a multimillionaire buying knocked down UK assets. Or for example the son of a Prime Minister who was helping me deal arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Or 1980s because I wasn't a multimillionaire buying knocked down UK assets. Or for example the son of a Prime Minister who was helping me deal arms.
                    Oh, that's right your degree is in Pol Sci isn't it

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      And what people forget is that right at the start of Maggie's attack on the power of the unions and the state of the country's finances, she said quite plainly that it would hurt and that 3.5m people would lose their jobs while the recovery work was done, but that afterwards w would be able to compete again.:
                      Did she? I missed that bit - when was it?

Comment

Working...
                      X