• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interview- tie or no tie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah. I don't to ties or suits.

If they ask I'll explain to them that I don't wear suits at work so I won't for an interview.

Its a quirk of the industry. The vast majority of contracts are cost + %. So I don't have to justify myself to ClientCo but to ClientCo's ClientCo who are paying.

To be fair they are interested in the amount of $$$ that I save them. Not the way I dress. If I manage to shave 10% of transport costs on a £70mln project do you really think they give a toss what I look like.

In offices its different but in the warehouse/transport if I turned up in a suit they'd think "twat" and not listen to me as I am a "suit" given that I'm young and dress normally I can often convince them I am one of them as it were.

Comment

Wear a suit and a tie.

No matter how good you are there's always a proper way to dress for the occasion. You cant go for an interview in shorts, can you?

If I were conducting the interview (And I have done a few) I would probably not mind a format shirt, triousers and shoes (wih no tie or jacket). But no way would I hire anyone that turns up in a sweatshirt, T shirt, jeans, sneakers etc. Not even if he were Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
        No matter how good you are there's always a proper way to dress for the occasion. You cant go for an interview in shorts, can you?

If I were conducting the interview (And I have done a few) I would probably not mind a format shirt, triousers and shoes (wih no tie or jacket). But no way would I hire anyone that turns up in a sweatshirt, T shirt, jeans, sneakers etc. Not even if he were Einstein
        hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Einstein is no longer with us. He has passed on. Bereft of life, he has shuffled off this mortal coil

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post

Which is in fact probably what Einstein would have worn. If he were the one you needed for the job, you'd have blown it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Nah. I don't to ties or suits.

If they ask I'll explain to them that I don't wear suits at work so I won't for an interview.
            Personally I sympathise, but isn't it more likely that they won't ask, they'll just flunk you? No use being logically right in silence on the way out. L'esprit d'escalier, sort of.

Comment

I maintain a high standard of sartorial elegance at all times.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                I maintain a high standard of sartorial elegance at all times.
                A little rubber hat?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I've been interviewed by a chap in shorts... it was in Bath in 1990... hottest day of the year, 100 deg F.

I was almost passing out.
                  Do you move faster on hot days?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Not wearing a tie could be a problem

Wearing one won't

Which should I do?

FFS
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I very rarely wear a tie because in order to get a shirt with a collar that fits, I have to get one the size of a bell tent. The other option is to force the thing closed and go into the interview doing bug-eyed-monster impressions.
                      What I tend to do nowadays is put one in my pocket and pull it out at some point and say - hey I took this off because I was so hot. A bit lame but my hit-rate is high enough for me not to worry too much about it.

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X