• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mayor of London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Lucy I already posted it, keep up!
    My link is to where it was posted on here by someone else about a week ago.

Comment

Since the City is about business first, why don't we have a proper businessman like Sir Alan Sugar as Mayor ?
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

You're losing it Lucy, calm down dear!
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          You're losing it Lucy, calm down dear!
          Don't call me dear!

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            Since the City is about business first, why don't we have a proper businessman like Sir Alan Sugar as Mayor ?
            That would be nice, unfortunately most successful business people make the decision to stay well out of politics.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Aye MM and that speaks volumes in itself...
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

BTW Matt O'Connor has pulled out. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7366662.stm

I've voted already.

I've not voted for Boris as seeing him in debates confirmed he is an idiot and having him represent London on the international stage makes me shudder.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Mr O'Connor is best known as the founder and spokesman for the campaigning group Fathers 4 Justice
                  Oh stunning !

So he siphons off votes which could have gone to a Ken-Contender who did have the willpower to stay the course, thus letting Ken win by default !

Bravo that man !

Anyone smell a conspiracy ?

C.S. Lewis

Comment

having watched the debate I'm still unconvinced by boris. I don't think that will matter however as I think he's going to win anyway....

Personally I don't really mind what ken's done for London, but want to stick fingers up at Gordon during these elections... but it does seem like cutting off nose to spite face.

Tricky...and still undecided.
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                      To paraphrase - I wouldn't trust Boris to operate a mop. I wouldn't trust Boris to run Trumpton. I wouldn't trust Boris to help me cross the road. I wouldn't trust him to run me a bath. etc etc. Maybe in the home coutnies, maybe a minor cabinet post - but not a major financial capital, multicultural city etc etc.
                      Ken said the biggest thing Boris had over organised was a staff lunch at The Spectator. Mathew Parris said in The Times that that was ridiculous: his secretary would have organised it. I suspect Boris would have been having a good day if he remembered to go to it.

I will be voting for Boris. So will the two scaffolders who where working outside my window the day he announced he was running.

Hopefully Cameron will put in suitable people to actually job, and Boris will go back to being funny, once the dangers of humour while campaigning are behind him.

I've an instinctive dislike of Ken, yet in terms of delivery I'd have to give him 9 out of 10 for the congestion charge alone. (I would have given him 10 if he'd done better on some minor details and not tried to narrow the roads and lengthen red lights.)

Comment

Working...
                      X