• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speculating on land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Except the elected representatives are ignorant donkeys with appropriate colour rosettes who rely on the council officers to make recommendations. They are also always scared that anyone they turn down may appeal which costs the council a lot of money. On the whole, it is easier for the council to say yes.
    You might be right. Though Mrs ASBs usual problem is trying to get things through that are blatantly within plan but rejected on the whim of the appropriate officer.

A number of authorities do seem to have unwritten policy which seems to be "well we can always cave in on the inspectorate steps if it goes that far".

But by far the best way of getting anything through still seems to be a gypsy with a publically funded barrister.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

But by far the best way of getting anything through still seems to be a gypsy with a publically funded barrister.
      Or in the case I'm most familiar with, a multinational with a record of obtaining government contracts manages to get permission for a development that was specifically ruled against at two previous inspectors inquiries, and was on land allocated as green belt and contrary to the currently defined local structure plan. No matter, wheel in a few consultants and away you go.

There were a couple of the politicos who objected at the first consideration. Plans were resubmitted and although the two were present on the evening, they were mysteriously taken ill and replaced by substitutes just before the crucial vote.

It's also worth mentioning (Tim 123) that it is theoretically illegal to determine planning applications along party lines (although as outlined above it clearly does happen).

As I said, get yer chequebook out, and away you go.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        How do you do this?
        Go to your local council website planning service page. You can then search on any planning applications and results the borough has processed. Some sites are better than others.

eg:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServ...nningregister/

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/Home/En...ce/default.htm
        Last edited by Mailman_1; 25 April 2008, 14:00.

Comment

Instead of buying land and making houses that people can’t buy because they can’t get the loans and the prices are falling, how about making food on the land? Prices of foodstuffs are going up and people will continuously buy food.

I know it’s a very speculative thing to do; AtW would certainly disapprove.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Or in the case I'm most familiar with, a multinational with a record of obtaining government contracts manages to get permission for a development that was specifically ruled against at two previous inspectors inquiries, and was on land allocated as green belt and contrary to the currently defined local structure plan. No matter, wheel in a few consultants and away you go.
            In this particular instance I am not sure whether you are saying it was ultimately granted by the inspectorate - in which case the local authority can't really be moaned at.

However you may well be saying the inspectorate still refused, it was then resubmitted and mysteriously passed by committee. If this was the case it should have been some time ago or somebody should be having a serious chat with the district auditor about maladministration (not that anything is likely to happen).

Certainly I am quite sure there may be some corruption. But elected representatives don't have a monopoly on that.

But yes, money does talk. Planning gain and 106's effectivelt force this.

Comment

Or in the case I'm most familiar with, a multinational with a record of obtaining government contracts manages to get permission for a development that was specifically ruled against at two previous inspectors inquiries, and was on land allocated as green belt and contrary to the currently defined local structure plan. .
              I don't know why you are targetting me here.

I don't disagree with the theory that large companies can steamroller their way through the planning process.

Only with the idea that proposing a plan for council land makes a difference.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Yes, but the officers also have delegated powers don't they. The committee will usually pay any going though on delegated little if any attention. It is only where officers have refused that it will normally be heard by the committee.
                Wrong .. a councillor can "call it in" for committee if they feel like it ..... they are made aware of all applications going through delegated. Once its refused by delegated a councillor will not get involved. (in fact i'm not sure it can be reversed)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  I have (another) daft idea.

I buy land that has no planning permission for residential property.

I apply agressively for planning permission (outline).

If agreed I sell at a profit (large).

If not I resell the land on at cost and try again.

e.g.

http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/la...le.asp?id=6796
                  http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/la...le.asp?id=6167

Genius or cretin?
                  Genius .... been there and done it.

i've just been granted planning on an infill plot - after 18 months in the planning system, 3 amendments to the application, and a fair few quid spent with the architect.

Taking the value of the land plus fees, plus build cost from a fairly conservative estimate of the market value, I reckon the planning permission for my particular development was worth about 60k.
                  Last edited by minsky1; 25 April 2008, 15:41.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
                    Wrong .. a councillor can "call it in" for committee if they feel like it ..... they are made aware of all applications going through delegated. Once its refused by delegated a councillor will not get involved. (in fact i'm not sure it can be reversed)
                    Once an application is submitted the parish counicl and ward members view will be sought. The case office will recommend refusal or grant.

If the parish or ward members (not any member) views differ from those of the officer - on valid planning grounds - then it will be called before the committee.

If the ward member has not expressed an opinion then the decision will rest with the officer, it will not go to committee and the only recourse is appeal to the inspectorate.

There are other circumstances in which a different member to the ward member can make representations to cause it to go to committee but it is not routine. Examples are that the applicants member cannot express opinion (e.g. they are on the planning committes or there is a conflict of interest) or that it has impact on adjoining ward(s).
                    Last edited by ASB; 26 April 2008, 09:36.

Comment

Working...
                    X