• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you an alcoholic?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Someone who drinks every day has an alcohol problem, most people drink socially or to watch sport and don't need a drink every night.
    What's the difference between "need" and "want"?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      However the implication of someone drinking every day is that they cannot get through the day without it. This dependence and use of alcohol as a crutch is definitely a pointer towards alcoholism imho.
      Someone who drinks every day has an alcohol problem, most people drink socially or to watch sport and don't need a drink every night.
      Isn't that the crux of it though - you could have a drink every evening if you WANT to. It's when you NEED to that you have a problem.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        However the implication of someone drinking every day is that they cannot get through the day without it. This dependence and use of alcohol as a crutch is definitely a pointer towards alcoholism imho.
        I drink Camomille tea every day - do I have a problem?
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Unless you want be sociable every night? Miserable fooker.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            What's the difference between "need" and "want"?
            Nobody can want a drink every night of the week unless they have a problem. The only people I know who drink every day have a problem and they know it.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Google 'french paradox' and do some reading. I'll help you out:

Research suggests that moderate drinkers are less likely to suffer heart attacks than are abstainers or heavy drinkers (see Alcohol and cardiovascular disease for details). Therefore, the alcohol in wine could be a factor in the French paradox.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                do I have a problem?
                Yes.

Comment

Some people like the taste of certain alcohol!!

If I had a massive glass of Baileys every day, it wouldn't be to get drunk, or to get a "fix"...it would be cause it's gorgeous!

Pretty much the same for certain red wines in my book too.

Other people have social lives IN heir houses....not everyone is a saddo like you for example. They have otherhalves, big families - a social network under their own roof. Do they all have problems if they have a glass of wine with each other over a meal for example?
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                    Have you done the AA thing Jog on? I know it isn't for everyone.

I have an uncle who was an alcoholic and it very nearly destroyed his life (his wife was on the verge of leaving him, and he was also on his last warning before he'd get sacked from a very good job), but he went to AA and hasn't touched a drop since. Very inspirational.

As I didn't really start drinking much till away at university, he once told me that the late starters were more likely to turn into alcoholics. Don't know if it was bs to try to keep me from getting sucked into the drinking scene, but so far I think I've proved him wrong!
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                      Google 'french paradox' and do some reading. I'll help you out:

Research suggests that moderate drinkers are less likely to suffer heart attacks than are abstainers or heavy drinkers (see Alcohol and cardiovascular disease for details). Therefore, the alcohol in wine could be a factor in the French paradox.
                      Does it negate liver disease also?

FFS
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X