• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting helps you to really know yourself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been a loner/anti-social type, but increasingly find I enjoy the parts of my job where I get to work with other people, and get a bit fed up of sitting by myself coding.

I find it can be a double edged sword: on the one hand if you move place to place you get to meet lots of new people, but on the other hand you don't stay long enough to build long term friendships as you tend to in permiedom.

Though what I need is a better social life outside work, then I wouldn't care what happened during the day. Must get on with that.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The only time I found not having any interaction was an issue was in my third contract in Edinburgh. The previous 2 contracts the people were great (not based in Edinburgh) this may have been the reason as the ones in Edinburgh were not friendly at all. The only guy who talked to me on a non work basis was because he lived near where I stayed and was into motorbikes.

I had never worked with a more greetin faced bunch in my life

This new contract I keep getting to move desk and I don't really talk to many people except for the PM on the project. Suits me as I like my own company (Only child I think that helps )

Comment

I have to concur with the OP. Ask yourself this; will you be telling your children as they grow up that they need to get their qualifications, go to uni, join a corporate and then scale the corporate ladder? Or will you be trying to instil a sense of their own purpose and value, spreading their wings to find what it is they really want to do with their life and then go and chase it?

It's only really contracting that has given me that outlook...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          I have to concur with the OP. Ask yourself this; will you be telling your children as they grow up that they need to get their qualifications, go to uni, join a corporate and then scale the corporate ladder? Or will you be trying to instil a sense of their own purpose and value, spreading their wings to find what it is they really want to do with their life and then go and chase it?

Comment

You are Robert Kiyosaki and I claim my crisp fiver!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              You are Robert Kiyosaki and I claim my crisp fiver!
              who's he?
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

who's he?
                linky

Check out the cashflow quadrant
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                  Do you want to be plugged back in to the matrix?
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

What I learned

That I am a P-O-R-N addict. When I spent a year working from home coding i was spending 3-4 hours a day surfing filth. It's so addictive. And I had a girlfriend at the same time too. At least when working in an office, this is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      That I am a P-O-R-N addict. When I spent a year working from home coding i was spending 3-4 hours a day surfing filth. It's so addictive. And I had a girlfriend at the same time too. At least when working in an office, this is not an issue.
                      I am sure there are many one-handed typists here.

Comment

Working...
                      X