• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got my permie contract in the post....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I failed a probationary period once.

I had a compramise agreement drawn up with a company I worked for. Aka they paid me some serious £££ to leave.

Went to another company and was out on my arse within 2 months. Then went contracting - ker-ching.
    I too have been where you have been Sockpuppet. (Feels very weird addressing a professional guy as sockpuppet, it has to be said!)

Ended up taking the sicky option to get an interview, returned from my sick time and my account was locked out! Very amusing.

Best one was for a firm I was with for literally two months as a permie, and they kept paying me for another 4 months after that. Still got the money – going to change my mortgage with Abbey to flexible Plus where I can put the money in the savings pot to resuce the term of my mortgage. Rock on

One week suite me great – it will be good if I choose to stay – if I get a good long term gig I will have easy option to bail. Hence feeling very happy about things!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      True to their word, it is, indeed for the £45K that was discussed.
      Tell them they've made a typo and it should be £54K as agreed

And one weeks notice for the first 10 years.
      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

My last permie job had a 6 month probation period, they had this very tedious 10 year security check before offering me the job and when I was in they started querying certain references.

It had to be the most greyest, dullest and disgusting places I've ever worked. A multi-billion dollar well known and infamous company with carppy old technology and 10 year old coffee stains on the carpet.

I took the probation period as the opportunity to jump to contracting as I'd always had problems with the permie notice period before that
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          True to their word, it is, indeed for the £45K that was discussed.

Man, there is some rubbish on it - talks about the 6 month probation, yadda yadda..... Need to either sign it by Monday, or, find a good long term well paying gig pronto!

Feel like I selling my soul to the devil.....
          I worked once for a company where I had a 3 month Probation period with a usefully short notice period. The thing was that it took them > 6 months to tell me that I had "passed" and was no longer on probation. At about 5.5 months I had asked if I could still leave on a short notice, but no-one had any idea as to the answer to this.
          If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

[QUOTE=Wilmslow;523144]Got my permie contract in the postQUOTE]

Got my permie slavery agreement in the post
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

[It had to be the most greyest, dullest and disgusting places I've ever worked. A multi-billion dollar well known and infamous company with carppy old technology and 10 year old coffee stains on the carpet. ]

I worked for that dreadful [V.... ]Cable TV company too........

T

Comment

Working...
              X