• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions vs standard saving accounts.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by basshead View Post
    Let me guess... developer for an IB?
    Ex-developer for an IB I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      It's the annuity that does that, the pension fund is just a pot of money before you purchase that...
      So there are 2 types of pensions ? Savings-account-like-one-that-also-saves-taxes AND another one - an Annuity one which pays until you are dead.

The annuity one from Norwich states that TAX will be deductive.

http://www.norwichunion.com/annuities/index.htm#table

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
        So there are 2 types of pensions ? Savings-account-like-one-that-also-saves-taxes AND another one - an Annuity one which pays until you are dead.

Tax will be deducted from the annuity that they pay you.

Comment

Mate, I think you need to book an appointment with one of the guys/girls listed here http://www.moneyweek.com/file/31682/...only-ifas.html

It's important you understand all the subtle points about pensions, investments, savings.

Comment

No, you have a pension account or fund which accumulates (tax free) over your working life and then when you retire you buy a pension product, e.g. an annuity, with the money in your fund. The amount you receive each month from the company from which you buy the product is taxed as income just like it were income from employment.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Mate, I think you need to book an appointment with one of the guys/girls listed here http://www.moneyweek.com/file/31682/...only-ifas.html

It's important you understand all the subtle points about pensions, investments, savings.
              Thanks. I will be providing for my retirement with either BTL or some Business. If this doesn't work , than in my 50ies

Comment

Thanks. I will be providing for my retirement with either BTL or some Business. If this doesn't work , than in my 50ies
                Fuqtard alert!

Not even a decent troll imho.

Comment

aghhhhhhhhhhhh

Main differences

1) Interest in a savings account is taxed in the current tax year. You can add / withdraw as you like

2) Interest in a pension fund is not taxed. You can't withdraw it (i.e. buy an annuity/ income drawdown) until later in life. There are maximum amounts you can add.

A pension is a bit of gamble: +ve - you get tax relief; -ve - how will Gordy / future government change the rules?

No wonder IFAs, banks, etc. can rip people off so easily

Comment

Ignoramuses

There is one born every day...
                    Mind you with this level of knowledge, it's like taking candy from a baby...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Indeed.

The Severn Bridge is still available... I'll throw in the 2nd Severn Crossing as a bonus...
                      How much Zeity?
                      That boy go raaaaaaa
                      Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Working...
                      X