• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Bad Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
    Just been totally mauled on a very technical phone interview.
    Its so depressing when this happens.

I do know my stuff but when you get questions that last a couple of minutes its hard to remember what they were asking for.

I wouldn't have minded but the daily rate wasn't anything special.
    Ditto, had one just, pulled something up off my CV I had completely forgot about, found myself waffling, if only he'd asked about Homes under the Hammer or Eggheads
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      ... and I thought my sex life was boring.
      maybe a pen and paper is a bit more subtle than a laptop xen

Comment

Don't worry

Once, I had 4 (FOUR) people on a conference call - each one trying to outdo the other in what sounded like qns out of a manual. I gave up after 20 mins - I said I had a meeting and needed to go - so guy on ego trip said 'we won't be taking this any further' and I said 'I wouldn't bother if I were you' and put the phone down. Not worth the hassle as - in your case - rate was Shiite.

Comment

I'd have asked them if they could hold on for a second as there's someone at the door. Then leave them hanging till they gave up. Then have the nerve to call the agent to see how I did.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            maybe a pen and paper is a bit more subtle than a laptop xen
            Harsh, but I'll accept it.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

aah the old Technical Interview bollocks.

I had one of those last week, I had the privelege of driving for an hour to go and sit in this lame duck company reception and write a VB.Net technical technical test. The questions seem to have come straight from the MCSD test guide,and some bulsh!t question about compiler switches for documentation, Some bum fluff questions about design patterns. that probably had no reference to the actual job they were interviewing for.
              I decided within 30 seconds of being there that I didn't want the gig anyway, so answered all the questions in C#.

Common experience is that companies that have a Technical Question thing, are normally staffed by those weekend trainspotter types.

After an interview like that I normally call my agent and inform them that I will need to up my rate by £30 a day because of the type of work they are asking me to do.
              threenine.co.uk
              Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                I had one last year that went duff. He asked stuff that I don't memorise, just check on the fly. Knowing what and how to check is the important bit.

I tried to make that point to him but he maintained that he would expect someone with the knowledge that I claimed, to remember all this stuff.

So we hung up and I returned to doing for my then current client, exactly the kind of work he wanted someone for.

Later the agency called back: he was unhappy about all the other candidates, so he wanted to interview me again......

Comment

1st question on a recent telephone interview:

INTERVIEWER: "What is the problem with circular references in Java?"

ME: "Nothing. There's a common myth that they can cause a memory leak, but modern JVM's don't rely on simple reference counting and have no problem coping with circular references."

INTERVIEWER: "...OK, ... next question..."

Things went downhill from here.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    1st question on a recent telephone interview:

INTERVIEWER: "What is the problem with circular references in Java?"

ME: "Nothing. There's a common myth that they can cause a memory leak, but modern JVM's don't rely on simple reference counting and have no problem coping with circular references."

INTERVIEWER: "...OK, ... next question..."

Things went downhill from here.
                    llllol
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X